Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,608   Online: 951

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Need help with Nikon FE

Hi, I just got a beat up FE that I planned to use for long exposure photography. I replaced the battery with one 6V cell from my FM2n and all speed sounds normal. Meter needle seems to work but I haven;t check the accuracy yet. Problem is the shutter needle indicator shows shutter speed that is 2 slower than what indicates on the dial. Is this a common problem? Anybody knows if this is an easy fix?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Exposure compensation left on?
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd imagine that your inharmonious shttr spd dial and/or v'finder indicator have a problem. Regardless of exposure compensation, the indicated speeds of the dial and v'finder ought to be the same. Only the metering needle is affected by exp comp. Perhaps it's possible to work around it but I would suggest having it checked-out by a repair shop. Other problems may surface during the course of a top-to-bottom examination. And they're best discovered while in the shop. Incidentally, the camera requires a total of 3 volts via two 1.5V batteries or one 3V but that should have no bearing on your problem as the link between the two (v'finder reading and shttr spd dial) is mechanical.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MFstooges View Post
    Hi, I just got a beat up FE that I planned to use for long exposure photography. I replaced the battery with one 6V cell from my FM2n and all speed sounds normal. Meter needle seems to work but I haven;t check the accuracy yet. Problem is the shutter needle indicator shows shutter speed that is 2 slower than what indicates on the dial. Is this a common problem? Anybody knows if this is an easy fix?
    The FE has 2 modes of operation: Manual and Automatic.

If the Shutter Speed Dial is pointed at "A" then you are in the Auto mode, otherwise you are in Manual mode.

If you are in Manual mode and the meter needle is pointing to a value different then shown on the Shutter Speed Dial then move the shutter speed dial until the values match (as close as you can) and shoot.

If you are in Auto mode ("A") then the shutter speed will be adjusted automatically to that shown by the meter needle when you shoot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OP... Which shutter needle are you referring to: the green one, or the black one? To expand on what BobD said... in Manual you make the green and black needles overlap.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Brian,
    It's the green one. Exp compensation is at '0' and has no effect to the green needle.

Shooter
    35mm
    The green needle is coupled with the dial via strings I think. It would be difficult to fix I would imagine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually its not that difficult if I recall. I have an FE apart somewhere, I'll take a look and see if I can find it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hope you can find it. I am thinking of DIY repair since sending it to a shop will cost more than buying another.

Shooter
    35mm
    No threads, the meter and shutter indicator speed indicator are one unit, it could have jumped a tooth on the gear train,there is a segment on the very bottom and a white plastic gear toward the top of the assembly.

Turn the shutter speed dial all the way CCW it should indicate "B" in the view finder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f9b357544f4aefde8ad93c8392644ae98ac318d.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	789.4 KB 
ID:	41673

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4313596b41acef388bfd35cd99a841727447b5d.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	41674

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin