Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,198   Online: 969

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I've also noticed a lot of "5% handling charge" fees added onto the shipping for high dollar items, pretty annoying.

Shooter
    35mm
    I gave up on goodwill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I see something good on there (and I wonder how someone gave it away) it usually goes for more than the same thing on ebay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    Dang, thought this would $75 bucks..
    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...s-8880507.html

Good morning, VPWPhoto, David Lyga, Guitstik, et al;

Regarding the Nikon Model S3 Rangefinder with the NIKKOR 1:1.4 5cm lens, you should not at all be wondering about the price. Guys, this is Latte Land, Not only is this the world headquarters and home of Starbucks, it is also home of The Microsoft Corporation and Bill Gates. When you consider that this is where a cup of coffee will start at $3.00 and a latte at $5.00, why would it be a surprise that a "vintage and rare" Nikon S3 also would cost a few dollars? As Bill Gates has shown, it is only money.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    I gave up on Goodwill too. Prices often end up higher than eBay's and on stuff that is in worse condition as they don't know cameras at all. You also can't return anything, per their stated rules.

It's better to visit local thrift stores where you can at least inspect items and not pay high shipping costs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Shopgoodwill used to be a bargain. Back when people didn't know about it. Now, the only things that sell for bargain prices there are the truly junky cameras that nobody wants anyway. Every once in a while you can snag a good price on an Olympus OM2 or the odd Nikon FE, and sometimes deals can be found on non-camera items (I chickened out and didn't bid high enough to get an amazing William Henry Jackson photo of Bridal Veil Falls - it ended up selling for almost $1100, but it would have listed at a dealers at about $9-10K). I've pretty much quit buying from them also, because there is no warranty, no return, and as previously noted, prices are now the same as if not more than ebay. While supporting a worthy charity is noble, if I'm going to end up buying a piece of junk, I'd much rather just write a check. And I agree, their shipping and handling fees are outrageous - the last thing I bought from them (don't remember exactly what it was, but the purchase price was under $20) cost less than the shipping charges!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There must be something wrong with me, I don't lust after any photographic gear because after more than fifty years of photography if I don't have it by now I don't need it, but my lust to try to make good pictures with what I have is unabated .
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    For the life of me I have no idea what you are talking about with an 'S3'. I don't even know what an 'S3' is unless it is a pre-Spotmatic 'S series' body. Where did I say 'S3'?

Am I more nuts and more ignorant that even I thought? I am perplexed. - David Lyga.

STOP PRESS: Oh now I know what you are talking about: an early Nikon RF that is currently in the $700s there. Many people who die leave estates in which the value is not known by those that remain behind. This was probably a wife who thought that it was simply another 'point and shoot' camera. There are those instances that come to fruition with charities like Goodwill gaining the bargain. Not unethical really. NO, I had nothing to do with this camera (that takes no better pictures than my $13 Minolta SRT by the way) and is less versitile. - David Lyga.
    Last edited by David Lyga; 11-15-2011 at 12:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    The problem with you, benjiboy, is that you are too 'normal and well balanced', You have no right to be on this forum because of that 'disqualification'.

But you are all too correct: the 'seeking' of that bargain gets into the blood when it clearly should not. Luckily, no matter how much I want a camera or lens, its appeal for me is reduced if not in the 'bargain' category. I wish I could be as rational as benjiboy's post but this is my private joy in life. There is something that is irresistable and captivating about having an instrument that is capable of 'capturing time'. And the whole 'era' unfolds in my hands: an era that I remember as more sane, predictible, and 'real'. That is also how I am with old classical music vinyl 33 rpm LPs. But, keep sanity flowing, benjiboy. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    The problem with you, benjiboy, is that you are too 'normal and well balanced', You have no right to be on this forum because of that 'disqualification'.

But you are all too correct: the 'seeking' of that bargain gets into the blood when it clearly should not. Luckily, no matter how much I want a camera or lens, its appeal for me is reduced if not in the 'bargain' category. I wish I could be as rational as benjiboy's post but this is my private joy in life. There is something that is irresistable and captivating about having an instrument that is capable of 'capturing time'. And the whole 'era' unfolds in my hands: an era that I remember as more sane, predictible, and 'real'. That is also how I am with old classical music vinyl 33 rpm LPs. But, keep sanity flowing, benjiboy. - David Lyga
    As I keep writing on this forum David, I've been there and have the T shirt, I realized around thirty years ago that photography can't be solved by throwing money at it, and if you have the most and best gear in the World, you have nowhere to go,for example if I bought a Stradivarius violin, I would become a Stradivarius owner not, a violinist
    Last edited by benjiboy; 11-15-2011 at 03:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin