Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,319   Online: 967

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    SGW depends on free donations so it is the good (not much), the bad (a lot), and the ugly (mostly).

My experience is the same as others. High shipping costs (even in WA) and you are never quite sure what will show up. I bought a 90 year old Zeiss Jena plate camera, and the shipper had plastered 2" shipping tape across the original leather case, ruining the finish. That's about who we are dealing with here... and there is no feedback or recourse.

EBay is shopping paradise in comparison to SGW.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well said, benjiboy, and the truth is not sad. You lend perspective, needed perspective.

Thankfully, I do not 'throw money' (little money to throw!!!) at cameras because I buy ONLY when I can buy at a price that I could get back in a pinch. I live in the Philadelphia area and the northeast of the USA is where probably one third of all 'USA destination' cameras were sold. That gives me a good buyer's market and, conflated with the recession (depression?), that spells opportunity of sorts.

A few days ago I attended the Fort Washingrton, PA (twice yearly) used camera show and bought, from a junk box, an Agfa Silette LK, the cheap version of the other Silettes. I paid $5 for a dirty camera whose shutter and aperture dials were stiff and uncomfortable but whose glass was flawless (despite all the grime). Today I completed my work on the camera after having removed the glass elements, flushed the shutter/diaphragm with much lighter fluid to remove the decades of gunk, and let it dry overnight in my oven with the pilot light on (about 110 F). The glass I clean with straight ammonia from the supermarket. NOTHING gets glass cleaner and it leaves no static charge. Then I removed the top and thoroughly cleaned the RF area. (But WARNING: don't use ammonia on the colored piece of glass in the RF area or the silvered (?) coating will come off. Just use water with a tiny bit of dish liquid.) Then I tested ACTUAL focus, which was different from the DESIGNATED focus, and made the screw adjustment to align the two to mesh. My correct focus is now from 34 inches to infinity.

At wide open (F 2.8) the lens performs admirably, with only the far corners SLIGHTLY soft. From F4 to F16 it performs like a Leica, period, no qualifications. That, folks, is how I draw blood out of a five dollar bill. But no one died because of the 'assault'. I gain immense satisfaction out of doing this and cringe when I see the Leicas being sought after. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 11-15-2011 at 06:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    jscott, again, well said.

It really is a crapshoot but since I make minor repairs it is so-so with me. I just bid on another SRT 101 for $9 (plus at least that in postage). I am amazed to hear that in Washington state the postage is also insane. About 95% of their cameras come from the west coast. WHY? - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Well said, benjiboy, and the truth is not sad. You lend perspective, needed perspective.

Thankfully, I do not 'throw money' (little money to throw!!!) at cameras because I buy ONLY when I can buy at a price that I could get back in a pinch. I live in the Philadelphia area and the northeast of the USA is where probably one third of all 'USA destination' cameras were sold. That gives me a good buyer's market and, conflated with the recession (depression?), that spells opportunity of sorts.

A few days ago I attended the Fort Washingrton, PA (twice yearly) used camera show and bought, from a junk box, an Agfa Silette LK, the cheap version of the other Silettes. I paid $5 for a dirty camera whose shutter and aperture dials were stiff and uncomfortable but whose glass was flawless (despite all the grime). Today I completed my work on the camera after having removed the glass elements, flushed the shutter/diaphragm with much lighter fluid to remove the decades of gunk, and let it dry overnight in my oven with the pilot light on (about 110 F). The glass I clean with straight ammonia from the supermarket. NOTHING gets glass cleaner and it leaves no static charge. Then I removed the top and thoroughly cleaned the RF area. (But WARNING: don't use ammonia on the colored piece of glass in the RF area or the silvered (?) coating will come off. Just use water with a tiny bit of dish liquid.) Then I tested ACTUAL focus, which was different from the DESIGNATED focus, and made the screw adjustment to align the two to mesh. My correct focus is now from 34 inches to infinity.

At wide open (F 2.8) the lens performs admirably, with only the far corners SLIGHTLY soft. From F4 to F16 it performs like a Leica, period, no qualifications. That, folks, is how I draw blood out of a five dollar bill. But no one died because of the 'assault'. I gain immense satisfaction out of doing this and cringe when I see the Leicas being sought after. - David Lyga
    I just have no desire David to clutter my small house up with junk that I'm never going to seriously use, I have no urge for constant equipment acquisition, I'd rather spend the money on film and processing.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jscott View Post
    SGW depends on free donations so it is the good (not much), the bad (a lot), and the ugly (mostly).

My experience is the same as others. High shipping costs (even in WA) and you are never quite sure what will show up. I bought a 90 year old Zeiss Jena plate camera, and the shipper had plastered 2" shipping tape across the original leather case, ruining the finish. That's about who we are dealing with here... and there is no feedback or recourse.

EBay is shopping paradise in comparison to SGW.
    The local Goodwill stores here in New Jersey - there are two along Route 46 - don't interest me, though they hold a fascination for my girlfriend. I'm not impressed with the intelligence of the staff OR management, and their tendency to price set items (e.g., china) to break them up is pathetic, with Salvation Army even worse.

Dieter Zakas
    Goodwill? More like, "Bad won't"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    yep, i was a shopgoodwill junkie. reformed. shipping + junk = down n out. if only i could wean myself from ebait. LOL.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The more possessions you have the more you have to protect and worry about.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is during times like this that I wish that I had been born independently wealthy rather than being so incredibly handsome and so damned humble!

Steve aka Sirius Glass
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I love to think , read , surf at nighttime from 5 PM ro 9 AM. Thats why all my images are sunsets or twilight zones. I am living in a distant edge of istanbul and I have no business with thousands of concerts , city life , museums or the exhibitions. I am living in 400 meters diameter around my home and might be photographed is photographed.

But if you have astradivarius , you can do many things , for example modeling its behaviour in your mind , record its notes one by one with different speed a nd pressure attacks , different vibratos and create a digital stradivari in your computer which will live or post transform an ordinary violin. You can go to different concert halls and listen its behaviour.

You can take its modal photographs , make modal analysis , take measurements , x ray , tomography and sell it with cd.

If you are generous , you can strip some lac from the surface and send to the analysis.

You can make density , dendrachronological analysis of the instrument and make to makers a database .

I owned 6 Leicas and always conducted analysis. You can buy a Summaron , send to zeiss , get detailed zernike and mtf tests , conduct these tests to every element , measure the curves and try to construct a meaningful explanation to its 3d look and design methodology.

If you have a stradivari , there will be lots of pianists at around. They can play and you can listen. May be your records pay some of your investment also.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is always www(dot)propertyroom(dot)com. They sell police auction stuff. Over the years I have gotten a few police owned graphics and other cameras. They carry alot of digital but they also have some analog.

I don't know if it is a secret or not, but I am probably shooting myself in the foot, lol.

I also am a recovering shopgoodwill addict. I have gotten some good bargains from there. Early I was able to get a Nikon F for less than 100 bucks and you can pick up some good lenses if you look. But I agree you usually pay more for postage than you do for the item.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin