Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,985   Online: 685

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    I do something very similar to ic-racer printing around 5x7 on 10x8 paper (I do this mostly in colour) and I'm intrigued now about moving the image up a little to have a larger bottom border. I also like what Thomas says, above. My journey never went larger than 6x6 but the only real impact that format changes made was on my wallet.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Les,

I too believe Thomas made great points about quality and I too enjoy 35mm's flexibility and automation on occasion, but I don't see "couldn't" and "only" as really applying here, there are very few absolutes when making photographs. I think that is part of what Thomas is getting at.

For example if I were in that shearing barn I'd have probably chosen my RB with a waist level finder, instead of 35mm. The intent is not necesarily to get a bigger negative but so that I wouldn't have to be on my knees so much and to be able to more easily get a floor level perspective.

In camera metering also isn't a big issue for me. Regardless of the camera in use manual settings are my norm, I typically meter with a handheld once for a given lighting situation, then meter once again when the light changes. I rarely let any camera decide what the exposure should be.

In the shearing barn I'd have taken four quick readings so that I'd know what to set the camera at depending on the direction I was shooting.

These choices work for me, not everybody cares about floor level perspectives and if metering every shot is important in somebody else's style/system so be it.
    Yes, I take your several well-made points, Mark. To be honest I did think about taking the Mamiya and using the WLF, but I haven't had it that long and wasn't confident I could use it comfortably in what I knew was going to be a pressured, cramped and low-light situation. It was easy with the 35mm.
    Thanks for your comments. I've learned something about metering technique which I'll experiment with. Maybe I fuss too much over it.
    Les

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Show us your shearing pics Les.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lesm View Post
    I've learned something about metering technique which I'll experiment with. Maybe I fuss too much over it.
    Les
    Knowing and being comfortable with your cameras is important.

One thing that I found for myself was that switching from meter to meter was the biggest struggle in using my cameras well.

The meter in each camera lens combo has its own, shall we say, personality. An FM2 with a 35mm lens sees differently that an N90s with a 105mm lens which sees differently than ...

Taking the camera meter out of the question allows me to be familiar with one tool rather than 5 or so in my case. That familiarity makes it easier for me to use any camera and get consistent results. It reduces my variables down to EI (film choice), f-stop, and time. No more wondering about what the meter is doing/measuring.

That technique isn't mine BTW, it's a common technique used by wedding shooters. Once you get the hang of it, it can provide whole sets of shots that require little or no adjustment after the first print.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    FYI ORWO just posted 100ft rolls of N74 on their website for $40.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertZeroK View Post
    FYI ORWO just posted 100ft rolls of N74 on their website for $40.
    Current stock of that is now two less...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it's for sure a golden age regarding price. Cheap and accessible. And the gear is almost free, many times for free. Of course I do miss a few types of film, but luckily it's still avaiable on the second hand market. After a few years of searching and testing I think I've found my "golden" camera line up for the three film sizes wich I love. And I'm close to finding my favourite, still in production, films also so I can start to streamline my workflow.

It just feels great when pictures like this just "pop" out of my negative, not great shots but it's a style wich I like and it just comes naturally when I've got an analog camera in my hand.
    http://arkiv.sveino.no/image/I0000WE0NGofKyVk
    http://arkiv.sveino.no/image/I0000cLWhk5Kp8x8
    http://arkiv.sveino.no/image/I0000gV6tFqnflA4
    http://arkiv.sveino.no/image/I0000d0kGevokkPk

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    In camera metering also isn't a big issue for me. Regardless of the camera in use manual settings are my norm, I typically meter with a handheld once for a given lighting situation.
    It's funny you mention that now. In the last couple of weeks I've been shooting [film] out of the studio, which I haven't done for decades, and discovered that I don't at all get along with Nikon's matrix metering, which often thinks too hard for the type of pictures I shoot. It works much better for me to do what I did with my OM-1, 40 years ago: conscious manual metering, center-weighted. At least I know how that works, and can count on it to do the same thing every time.

For some strange reason, I get better exposures when I get to do the thinking. :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post

For some strange reason, I get better exposures when I get to do the thinking. :-)
    Good morning;

Thank you for such a simple way to phrase what it takes to be a photographer.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin