Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,207   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Golden Age of 35mm Photography

Recently picked up nine near mint Yashica ML lenses(21/3.5, 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 50/1.7, 50/2, 55/4, 28-85 3.5) and 4 FX3/2000 bodies for less then the cost of a single Zeiss lens. Fresh 35mm film is about $1.00 US per roll. Times have never been better for shooting 35mm film!

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I agree! HAve you used that film before? And would you really get 135 rolls from 400ft?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please post what you think of that film after you've used some.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree, it's amazing what has happened. 35mm film photography is alive and well, and cheaper than ever! People are giving away, or very nearly, gear that once cost a month's salary. My 28mm Tamron cost me all of $5, and I have two tele zooms that were $15 each (one is a Tamron 80-210mm, the other a Nikon Series E 75-150mm). And finally, my F3 with (broken-needed-new-batteries) motor was going to go in the dumpster until I rescued it. The most expensive piece of 35mm gear I own is my 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor and even that was relatively cheap at $100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Amen, brother! I picked up a 100ft roll of fresh Fomapan 100 off the evil place for $20 including postage, the kids are shooting the whoopies out of it and I don't mind because it's so cheap.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is no time like the present - in my opinion today is the golden age of 35mm photography. Despite the rumours and demise of some products there is such a wealth of black and white material today. From my palette ...
    • Ilford's new "fine art paper", some entrenched good products - the delta films and multigrade fb paper
      Fuji Neopan 100 Acros film
      Kodak TriX film
      Some fabulous chemicals and film from Rollei ans Spur
      Re-badged Agfa paper from Adox
      Some lovely stuff from Forma
      And the resurection of Amaloco

These are just some from top of my head, certainly there is no new hardware from the major manufactures, though the price of second hand cameras and lenses has gone up there is wealth of hardware to be found. Not to mention new rangefinder camera's Certainly today's the day!
    Regards
    Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love it too. My progression in photography has gone like this:

35mm using Pentax SLR cameras and lenses.
    120 6x6 TLR via a Yashica 12.
    120 6x6 TLR via a Rolleiflex.
    120 645 via a Mamiya 645 system.
    120 6x6 via a Hasselblad 500 series
    4x5 via a Crown Graphic.
    4x5 via an Osaka hand built Japanese camera and a 210 Schneider.
    5x7 via a Century #2 with a couple of brass lenses.
    Back to 120 6x6 via the Hasselblad.
    Back to 35mm via the Pentax SLR and a Leica M2.

It's as if I had to take the trip up to large format only to realize that my pictures were none the better. It was a very stark realization for me.

Now I'm perfectly happy with my prints from 35mm and I use TMax 400 / Acros with replenished Xtol, and Tri-X with PMK for a variety in prints regarding texture. You can have it all with the small format, in my opinion.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe if you're up for survivalism and dumpster diving. Cheap C-41 dev/print service is dead or dying across N. America. Who's up for paying pro lab prices for a roll of 24 Superia 200? That's what's taken the fun out of 35mm for me. I'd say 3-5 years ago was probably "peak" 35mm for price/quality on used gear. That's when I was buying the bestest for the leastest in Nikon. Now? Not so much unless "cheap" is your sole criterion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some people just like marching down the street carrying signs proclaiming "The end is nigh!"....

The rest just enjoy life!
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is that ORWO stuff the OP linked perfed?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin