Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,107   Online: 1034

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Too much too soon?

In a very short amount of time, I have found myself in possession of eight cameras... A Nikon FM, a Nikkormat FT2, a Nikon F, Yashica TL Super, Yashica Tl Electro X, Canon F1 with Speed Viewer, Canon Ftb, and a Franka Rolfix. The TL Electro came with a pretty nice tele and a 1.7 50mm. I have a newer Sigma 28mm, an older Sigma tele and a Nikkor 28mm for the Nikons. I only have one lens for the Canons, but it is a really nice 28-70 macro that would resolve the need to carry much else. I am just at point where I need to pick a system and stick with it... I can't ditch the FM, it was gifted to me by my Father in Law. Of these bodies, which would be the best system to persue? The F1 is incredibly clean, but the mirror sticks as it has not been in use for a bit. The F has a dead meter. The Electro is perfect. Any advice? I am not pressed to get rid of any of them, I just want to have a goal when looking for new glass...
    Last edited by 26x30; 11-16-2011 at 07:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 26x30 View Post
    ... I am not pressed to get rid of any of them, I just want to have a goal when looking for new glass...
    Keep them all. It's a growing experience and you want the tools to grow with.
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I plan to keep them, if nothing else to be able to pass them on to my son. I hate hearing about all of the cool shit that my dad let go before I was of age to enjoy his surplus. I just want to pick the most fruitfull system to build upon so I can have a cohesive set of glass over the next few decades.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too much of a good thing, is by definition a good thing.

Welcome to APUG, although I have always been more partial to 24x36 than 26x36. But please stay and enjoy the website.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Close enough! The name stems from the original owner of the darkroom setup I purchased. When I asked him the largest print he had produced he replied "26x30 with techpan" I walked around for a few days mumbling "Jesus Christ, 26x30?" My next question would be about the availability of batteries... Would the F1 be hard to furnish? I have no problem using an external meter if I have to, though a functional meter would be nice.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A Nikon F without a battery sounds perfect. Do yourself a favor and pick up a meter. Use the meter always and never use any camera meter.

That might seem contentious and arguable, but I don't mean it to be. It is something I wish I had done when I first picked up a camera. Of course there are many fine camera meters that can tell you the correct exposure. But I encourage you to develop confidence in understanding exposure and metering - to the point where you know better than the camera what the right settings should be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I rarely use in camera meters, I mainly use "sunny 11" where I live, and occasionally a hand held meter. My point, use whichever camera that fits you best regardless of working meter or not.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Too much of a good thing, is by definition a good thing.

Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep them all, and see what happens!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Start shooting with the FM and carry the FT2 as back-up. Put the rest in a box and play with them on a rainy/snowy day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin