Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,317   Posts: 1,536,759   Online: 1054

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon FA

Shooter
    Multi Format

Canon FA

Hi all,

Picked up a pair of Canon FA's that just arrived today. Was wondering if anyone has a manual or more information regarding these cameras, there is scant info online.

All I know that they are specialized cameras for taking pictures of the human eye. This pair previously belonged to the National Institute of Health, in Bethesda Maryland. They don't have any iso or shutter speed settings, comes with a special motordrive, and a attached (non removable) prism. Supposedly based on the F1 body. The viewfinder has a extended variable dipoter of +2 to -4. Lens mount is also odd, perhaps tailored for an industry standard machine or optic? Also they have a focusing screen that is unmatted (clear) with cross hairs. It seems to fire at 1/30th of a second.

One seems to work fine, the 2nd I think has a failed electromagnet that fails to release when shutter is depressed, you have to nudge the release under the baseplate to get it to release the magnetic hold and then it fires.

Anyone have any experience? Modifiable for any other purpose other than its intended build? A free lensing 1/30th sec camera? Or just something to sit in a collection of oddities?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ash you are the prson that bought those. i was toying with the idea, but i dont need any more projects right now.
    Best i can tell, they are auto-only versions of the AE1 series with a viewpeice magnifier (permanently attached? -can you confirm?)
    I bet you that any service manuals for the A series will be applicable.

I am not surprised at the view screen.

Tell me about the lens mount. is it a screw mount or bayonet?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haha it was me, they just looked cool, and the price was right . And yes its a bayonet mount and the eye piece is permanently attached though adjustable. Ive attached some pictures too.

sorry about the picture quality, iphone =[ resized to 1000 pixels on longest side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0270.JPG   IMG_0269.JPG   IMG_0271.JPG   IMG_0272.JPG  
    Last edited by Newt_on_Swings; 11-17-2011 at 01:17 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is a new one on me, I didn't know there was a Canon FA.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    They do not look to be based on the F1, more likely on an A-series.

I found this link : Canon FA

The mount does not seem that odd, it really looks like the FD mount.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have my daughters AE-1 sitting here in front of me, that's an FD mount. Oh joy, now you can buy some of the best lenses available for cheap.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the FA is an "A" series camera (like the AE-1, A-1), etc.) and yes it does have the FD lens mount.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, I'm not that familiar with the Canon FD system. But I dug out my grandpa's Canon Ftb, which had a 50mm lens on it and it does mount!

But: The image is upside down and reversed, and the large mirror gets blocked (it cant go up until you remove the lens).

Doh!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You need a bellows or extension tubes. it was used for FUZZYGRAPHING the eye and wasn't made for that infinity thing.
    Using a bellows and a 135mm lens head would get you infinity though.
    Or a leaf shutter lens and you could use either shutter. Leaf = any speed w/flash
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    You need a bellows or extension tubes. it was used for FUZZYGRAPHING the eye and wasn't made for that infinity thing.
    Using a bellows and a 135mm lens head would get you infinity though.
    Or a leaf shutter lens and you could use either shutter. Leaf = any speed w/flash
    Good call! I just bought my self a 60mm F4 APO Componon Makro lens that Ive been playing with =] Maybe ill put these two together. The leaf shutter probably wont work as I cant lock the mirror up, and there isnt a bulb setting, I wish there was though.

Thanks for all the replys guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin