Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,531   Online: 1116

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Never seen a bona-fide Minolta lens without the focal length on it. Odd.

I would go for an XD-11, cheaper more plentiful than either the XE or XK.It does more than XE-7 and can accept a winder.The XK's only real features that make it somewhat better than the XD-11 is the mirror lockup,1/2000 top speed,manual speeds to 15 seconds. However no winder option and unless you get an AE-S finder ($$$$$$$$) you don't get the LED readout or shutter speed display in view finder.
    The AE finders as notorious for the light tube that illuminates the meter being dim depending on your eye position, you have to move your head around to see the full scale, its not visible from one location.This is not an issue with the AE-S.
    For the wheel barrel full of money it would take to buy a KEH EX condition XK w/AE-S you can get a XD-11,winder,flash,lenses.

I pick up my XDs before any other body I have.
    The only draw back to the SRT is the battery, I use wein cells and just deal with the short life.The best SRTs are the 102 w/MLU and the 202.

Shooter
    35mm
    The XD-11 is also a fine Minolta body and I have no reason to belittle one over the other as they are all fine Minolta mount light tight boxes. I would make sure you are getting a fully functional and cosmetically reasonable body at the right price in order to fully appreciate the handling and capabilities of the body.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, J-Dogg;

Guitstik is right. The only Minolta camera body that really used the "MD" feature of the Minolta ROKKOR lenses was the X-700, and that was mainly for use in the "P" or "Program" mode. There were a couple of other things that were done inside the "MD" ROKKOR lenses to make them work even better with the X-700 in "P" mode, but the main thing was to let the X-700 camera know what the minimum f-stop was on the lens. The lens aperture leaves were also lighter and carefully selected to improve performance in the "Final Check" exposure metering with the lens and shutter speed selection

The X-700 was also one of the most popular and long term production camera models that Minolta made for over more than ten years (17 years?), going through three different locations where they were built and assembled; Japan, Indonesia, and China. There were a few million of them made, so you should be able to find a sample for your use. I think I have about 10 of them now, receiving the most recent one yesterday, and I still consider the X-700 to be the most versatile camera that Minolta ever produced. The only real criticism that was sort of deserved is the capacitor used in the shutter circuit beginning mainly when the production line was moved to Indonesia. Some of those barely made the specifications, and it showed. The later ones are pretty good, and the replacement parts are fine. So many of those capacitors have been replaced that did not really need to be changed, but once you have the reputation, it is very difficult to overcome.
    Last edited by Ralph Javins; 11-19-2011 at 02:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had several X-700 and my most recent is on loan to a friend for his trip to Indonesia and I'm going nuts worrying about it. I trust my friend but it is one of my better cameras since I had it CLA'd by Garry. I also have the XD-11 and XE-7 along with a good selection of srT cameras, all excellent cameras. The srT's aren't battery dependant so I leave em out and shoot au natural. I am currently in the market for an XK as well as an SR-2 to round out my collection of user Minoltas.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One can place the blame directly on guitstik, since we live in the same city: I finally broke down and bought the younger brother to the X-700: the X-570, used off KEH, along with a Motor Winder 1. I have small hands, and the extra chunkiness helps me with ergonomics and stability. I took it out last weekend on a trip to St. Louis and got to love it immensely. Unfortunately, the motor drive of the winder didn't work and the frame counter of the camera didn't work, so I've returned them both to KEH for replacement. Great service by KEH, by the way. I really love the button-touch feature of the newer Minoltas, and their lenses are excellent. Besides the X-570, I have an SRT-200 and an XG-A.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    35mm
    My Minolta Rokkor 100-200 f/5.6 also has a maximum aperture of f/5.6 as the name suggests. I suppose this is the lens you saw, as for that price the 400 APO would really be a steal. Besides - ahem - where did you see it?

The 100-200 is a peculiar beast. The two zooming lens groups move in parallel, keeping a constant distance between them. The lens has an unusually low number of lenses for a zoom of the time. Very crisp and contrasted, but also showing a jolly good amount of distortion, this is something you should not use for architectural work for sure (OK you probably wouldn't use a zoom lens in any case). The small maximum aperture makes it somehow outdated by today standards. When extended, it really looks like a bazooka (that's because of its peculiar optical scheme, as said) so don't use it in a war zone (unless your wife hates you, and you love her, that is).

As far as I remember, the MD series of the SR mount was launched with the first "multimode" camera, the Minolta XD-7 in Europe (whatever else was called in other markets). The lens needs to be set to its minimum aperture (marked green) when the camera is used in shutter speed priority mode.

When the X-700 was launched the MD series was modified receiving a lock on the minimum aperture. That way, somebody wanting to use the X-700 in Program mode only could lock the lens on its minimum aperture.

As a curiosity it is interesting to say that the behaviour of the Program mode of the Minolta X-700 (and probably of the shutter priority mode of the XD-7) can be modified by setting an aperture which is smaller than the minimum one. If, for instance, you set a normal lens to f/5.6, the result will be that the Program mode will select f/5.6 and 1/1000 for EV14 @ 100 ISO, but will overexpose at EV15 not being able to close the lens more than that.

At EV10 (ISO 100), and with the lens at f/16, the resulting exposure is 1/125 @ f/2.8;
    At EV10 (ISO 100), and with the lens at f/5.6, the resulting exposure is around 1/250 @ f/2.0 if the lens is capable of f/2.0, but it reverts to 1/125@f/2.8 is the lens is not capable of f/2.0.
    This is explained by the graph at page 30 of the Italian manual.

With my 100-200 f/5.6 the Program mode would keep the full aperture until EV14, and then begin closing the aperture with the usual slope (7 diaphragm stops and 4 aperture stop for each 11 EV intervals).

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    The XD-11 is also a fine Minolta body and I have no reason to belittle one over the other as they are all fine Minolta mount light tight boxes. I would make sure you are getting a fully functional and cosmetically reasonable body at the right price in order to fully appreciate the handling and capabilities of the body.

I'm not belittling any camera, just offering practical advice from over 30 years of Minolta experience.

The best solution of course is to buy all 4, an XK,XD-11,XE-7,and SRT.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll gladly carry the blame Terry. Minoltas are severely underrated cameras and lenses. The 570 and 700's are fantastic cameras and can easily be serviced if the capacitor fails unlike others like the Canon AE-1p.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Minolta's were always reliable - I still occasionally break out my Maxxum 9000.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Sorry to be a technical wet blanket, but the Minolta lens mount is called SR. The MC/MD designation is for the later meter coupled lenses but they are still SR mount. You will find it difficult to mount an SR lens to an EOS because the Minolta lens to film distance is much shorter than Nikon or Canon it would be much easier to mount those lenses to Minolta bodies. You will not have infinity focus without an optically corrected adapter and even that will create problems.
    Two common lens conversions are the MC Rokkor Minolta 58mm f/1.2 and the f/1.4 to Canon mount. Some hacking of the lens is required as well as shaving of the body mirror in order to reach infinity focus but it can and has been done..

In my opinion it is a waste of two good lens that can no longer be used on Minolta bodies.

I use the glassless adapter to mount my 58mm Minolta lens on the Olympus E-620 with infinity focus..

Metering needless to say is via stopdown in either manual or auto (aperture preferred) mode..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin