Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,519   Online: 891

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dont think anyone has brought this up but, I suggest testing the sigma lens, as they have a history of compatibility programs regarding their chips that may not work on newer bodies unless they were rechipped. This might hinder resale value a good deal, and maybe why it may be so cheap to you now.

But if your a dedicated manual focus user, go ahead! it will help alleviate some GAS.

Shooter
    35mm
    Like I said, it's really this lens that is causing me to rethink myself. http://www.ffordes.com/product/11080310214081

If anyone has info on it, I'd appreciate it. I was resigned to thinking that I wouldn't be able to get sports shots (rugby.) So if I actually could do that, even if I could only do it with a film lens, I'd definitely reconsider things.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Buceph View Post
    I was resigned to thinking that I wouldn't be able to get sports shots (rugby.) So if I actually could do that, even if I could only do it with a film lens, I'd definitely reconsider things.
    -Please forgive me if you're perfectly aware of this, but reading the above, I think there may be a misunderstanding afoot here.

Any film/FX lens will work perfectly fine on a APS-C (crop sensor) digital body; it is just a little bigger and heavier than what is required to accomodate the smaller sensor.

As a further bonus if you intend to shoot sports - the smaller sensor size translates into a narrower angle of view for a given focal length, making the lens appear to be a longer tele than it really is. (While comparing to a film/FX camera using the same lens.)

A 300mm lens on a DX/crop sensor camera will present the same angle of view (roughly, depending on the exact sensor size) as a 450mm tele on a FX camera.

That being said, a 300mm f/4 tele for GBP200 seems like a very good deal!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by OddE View Post
    -Please forgive me if you're perfectly aware of this, but reading the above, I think there may be a misunderstanding afoot here.

Any film/FX lens will work perfectly fine on a APS-C (crop sensor) digital body; it is just a little bigger and heavier than what is required to accomodate the smaller sensor.

As a further bonus if you intend to shoot sports - the smaller sensor size translates into a narrower angle of view for a given focal length, making the lens appear to be a longer tele than it really is. (While comparing to a film/FX camera using the same lens.)

A 300mm lens on a DX/crop sensor camera will present the same angle of view (roughly, depending on the exact sensor size) as a 450mm tele on a FX camera.

That being said, a 300mm f/4 tele for GBP200 seems like a very good deal!
    I understand that. It's just this particular lens says it won't work on DSLRs for electronic reasons. Maybe something about the contacts. And I was resigned to not taking sports shots because I wouldn't be able to afford a €1000 lens i.e. a 300mm F4, until I saw this which says it works on EOS Film bodies.
    Last edited by Buceph; 11-22-2011 at 01:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a bit confused. Are you basing a system choice by a third party lens maker? Because if that's the case Sigma is well known for its spotty quality control. As well, wouldn't they make the same, and/or similar model mount for Nikon?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    I'm a bit confused. Are you basing a system choice by a third party lens maker? Because if that's the case Sigma is well known for its spotty quality control. As well, wouldn't they make the same, and/or similar model mount for Nikon?
    No.

But the availability of a 300mm F4 lens for £200 would make a significant impact on my decision.

I know that there is little difference between Nikon and Canon. I have read that Nikon are generally considered better when it comes to their flashes, and I have read that Canon are generally considered better when it comes to the availability of an option of prime lenses.

I thought I had outlined my problems I had with Nikon (D versus G lenses and incompatibility between film and digital SLRs, and their compatibility with flashes.) I had pretty much accepted these problems, although I hadn't looked too close at Canon. This was because I liked the feel of Nikon. However being able to get a decent 300mm F4 lens for relatively little money, is making me reconsider.

Many people have said there is relatively little between the two brands and systems. But I'm still asking how Canon shape up to Nikon in the area I've described as having problems with Nikon.

I'm not deciding anything based on one aspect, I'm just looking for information. (Especially as I haven't found one stand-out site for Canon.)

Edit: As for whether the lens is available for Nikon, I don't know. I know nothing about this lens, just that it is amazingly cheap for a 300mm F4. That's probably related to the way the seller is saying it won't work on a DSLR. But if I could even take sports shots on a film body, that'd do fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 200mm F4 lens on a cropped sensor digital body will give you the same results (wrt image size on the frame) as a 300mm F4 lens on a full frame body.

So I wouldn't base my decision on that 300mm lens unless it was compatible with a DSLR.

IMHO sport photography is a genre where digital has some clear and demonstrable advantages over film - I would suggest that if you are examining which systems would be best for both digital and film use, you should concentrate on types of photography where both digital and film are strong.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Is there a lens that will perform at F4 at 200mm on a crop bod, and that's only £199?

The only thing that I can find is this at twice the price.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Terrible thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you HAVE to have f/4? You can simply bump up ISO one stop if necessary. My 55-200VR is f/5.6 at 200mm. It's a wonderful cheap lens. You can buy one for about $200US.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin