Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,788   Online: 837
      
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53
  1. #21

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,921
    Quote Originally Posted by OddE View Post
    Hi,

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that current Canon lenses also are 'G' lenses - that is, they do not have a dedicated aperture ring, causing the same type of compatibility issues as G lenses do with older bodies.

    (Also, Canon revised their lens mount in the late eighties and again in the early 00's - effectively ensuring that pre-EF lenses only work on current bodies via an adapter, and the crop-sensor lenses introduced post-'00s-change will not work on EOS film bodies - which, arguably, isn't much of a practical inconvenience though some zooms may give a large enough image circle at some focal lengths to be used on a full-frame body...) All told, I don't think it fair to say that Nikon pays less attention than Canon does to product longevity.

    Depending on which Nikon you choose (and, obviously, which lenses you choose) you'll have a very versatile system indeed.

    For all-round compatibility the F4 is king - it takes just about every F-mount lens since the introduction of the mount in 1959, allowing you to use the latest G lenses in shutter priority mode. (No VR, though)

    Granted, my opinion is biased by the fact that I'm heavily into the Nikon F system - but for overall compatibility, I'd grab a decent Nikon APS-C body with an integrated autofocus motor (That is - just about anything except the D40(x), D60, D3000, D3100, D5000 and D5100 IIRC).

    As for flash photography, I was under the impression that current Speedlights would provide TTL on older, TTL-compatible bodies, but I'll have to check that out - I mostly use flashes for macro photography (Exclusively digital) and hardly at all on any of my film bodies.
    Canon EOS lenses are not compatible with any Canon FD mount bodies. However, this was back in the late 80's and all Canon made since then are compatible with the new EOS lenses (except EF vs EF-s which is the same as Nikon FX and DX) that is all these bodies have control of the aperture without using the aperture ring on the lens.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, IL
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Buceph View Post
    Like I said, it's really this lens that is causing me to rethink myself. http://www.ffordes.com/product/11080310214081

    If anyone has info on it, I'd appreciate it. I was resigned to thinking that I wouldn't be able to get sports shots (rugby.) So if I actually could do that, even if I could only do it with a film lens, I'd definitely reconsider things.
    I have the feeling that your thinking is based on this lens alone which I am not sure why it would work on a Canon EOS film body but not with their DSLR. But since this is new old stock, and if there is a Nikon version of this lens it would be sold for about the same price.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aalesund, Norway
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Buceph View Post
    (...) and I have read that Canon are generally considered better when it comes to the availability of an option of prime lenses.
    -I get the impression that you'd rather buy new than used gear (The F5/F100/3000V aside, for obvious reasons) - and that you want AF.

    Also, I do not have much experience with Canon and consequently know very little about the availability of primes for that mount.

    At least at the wide end (Where I spend most of my time), the Nikkor AF prime selection is good; fast-ish glass is available new for less than $500 at 20-24-28-35mm. These are all screwdriver AF designs, though, so they require an autofocus motor in the body itself. (Excluding the D40, among others)

    As for lens incompatibilities, I think you'll find the problem is a lot smaller in practice than you suspect. Unless you choose one of the most basic Nikon D bodies, the selection of compatible (AF) lenses is vast and reasonably priced - and, if one is to buy into a system, it really (IMHO, of course) does not make much sense to base one's ultimate decision on the limitations of the most basic model available - one you're quite likely to upgrade from in the near future if you like the system, anyway.

    If you'd rather buy a new flash unit (And I know I would; you never know what kind of use & abuse a Speedlight has seen) you're out of luck if you want Nikon's own offerings - they simply do not have any current Speedlights which will give TTL with legacy cameras. If you're open to third party flashes, though, I am 99% sure Metz flashes support both i-TTL (Which is what you want with your DSLR) and plain old TTL (Which will work a charm with film cameras.)

    Unfortunately, I cannot provide any detailed comparison to Canon (After all, most people choose a system and stick with it) - but I hope you'll have some detailed feedback on Canon as well, allowing you to make an informed decision.

    I'll readily admit that I am disappointed after finding that Nikon has ditched plain TTL support from their Speedlights; fortunately, I have a SB800 and a couple of SB600s around the house.

  4. #24
    ColdEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    714
    Images
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Do you HAVE to have f/4? You can simply bump up ISO one stop if necessary. My 55-200VR is f/5.6 at 200mm. It's a wonderful cheap lens. You can buy one for about $200US.
    I second this, it's cheap, and you have a zoom so you cans choose different FLs.

  5. #25
    2F/2F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,008
    Images
    4
    Nikon allows you to use AI and AI-S glass pretty much seamlessly on their mid-level-and-higher digital cameras, and back to the Nikon F. I also think Nikon's interfaces for controlling the camera, both electronic and physical, are way better. The lens compatibility has allowed me to have a kit of five lenses for my D700 for under $800 total, and that includes splurging on an unnecessary $400 Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4. See what you can get in terms of optical quality and versatility for a Canon EOS camera for $800. Maybe three optically-decent but poorly-built plastic lenses on the used market, not five outstanding Nikkor ones that will last a lifetime.

    That said, if all you ever want is modern AF cameras with modern AF lenses, I see no problem with Canons. When Nikon was still making crap for digitals, I shot Canon, and I liked the stuff fine. Always preferred the controls and compatibility of Nikons, but their image quality was far behind Canon at the time, at least for what I was shooting (maximum ISO most of the time).
    2F/2F

    "Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

    - Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by OddE View Post
    -I get the impression that you'd rather buy new than used gear (The F5/F100/3000V aside, for obvious reasons) - and that you want AF.

    Also, I do not have much experience with Canon and consequently know very little about the availability of primes for that mount.

    At least at the wide end (Where I spend most of my time), the Nikkor AF prime selection is good; fast-ish glass is available new for less than $500 at 20-24-28-35mm. These are all screwdriver AF designs, though, so they require an autofocus motor in the body itself. (Excluding the D40, among others)

    As for lens incompatibilities, I think you'll find the problem is a lot smaller in practice than you suspect. Unless you choose one of the most basic Nikon D bodies, the selection of compatible (AF) lenses is vast and reasonably priced - and, if one is to buy into a system, it really (IMHO, of course) does not make much sense to base one's ultimate decision on the limitations of the most basic model available - one you're quite likely to upgrade from in the near future if you like the system, anyway.

    If you'd rather buy a new flash unit (And I know I would; you never know what kind of use & abuse a Speedlight has seen) you're out of luck if you want Nikon's own offerings - they simply do not have any current Speedlights which will give TTL with legacy cameras. If you're open to third party flashes, though, I am 99% sure Metz flashes support both i-TTL (Which is what you want with your DSLR) and plain old TTL (Which will work a charm with film cameras.)

    Unfortunately, I cannot provide any detailed comparison to Canon (After all, most people choose a system and stick with it) - but I hope you'll have some detailed feedback on Canon as well, allowing you to make an informed decision.

    I'll readily admit that I am disappointed after finding that Nikon has ditched plain TTL support from their Speedlights; fortunately, I have a SB800 and a couple of SB600s around the house.

    Cheers. I've figured out all this for Nikon, because I've spent yonks reading up on the compatability of systems and the like. All I was asking for was someone to or a link to somewhere I could find out the same for Canon. Instead, some people are acting like I've pissed in their cornflakes.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Florida, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,907
    I think everyone was genuinely trying to help you by figuring out what you want and what will work for you. Some of the answer may not be to your liking but there is certain level of appointment's in hearing you call it "pissing in corn flake."

    Good luck in your search.

    I'm going to my darkroom for fun activities.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I think everyone was genuinely trying to help you by figuring out what you want and what will work for you. Some of the answer may not be to your liking but there is certain level of appointment's in hearing you call it "pissing in corn flake."

    Good luck in your search.

    I'm going to my darkroom for fun activities.
    Maybe my view of comments has been tainted by one guy in particular saying, "terrible thread." I'll collect myself, take a deep breath and go again.

    And tkamiya: In answer to your previous question about bumping the ISO. I'd already be doing that at F4 as any sports photographer says that F2.8 is where it's at, and F4 is for a very bright day when you want the sharpness bump from stopping down.



    All I'm really asking is whether Canon make for a better "all round" film and digital system, than Nikon for the relatively little amount of cash I have to spend? Especially considering what I have to spend on my entire film setup is what one person could spend on their basic digital body.

  9. #29
    ChristopherCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    The Armpit of Texas
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,190
    Images
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Buceph View Post
    All I'm really asking is whether Canon make for a better "all round" film and digital system, than Nikon for the relatively little amount of cash I have to spend?


    That's like asking people how they like their eggs. Some people will say yes, others will say no, and others will tell y you to go sony/pentax/olympus. "Better all around" is completely dependent upon the user behind it.

  10. #30
    ColdEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    714
    Images
    47
    If you are going to use other legacy lenses like olympus or the Screw Mount lenses, you can use them in a canon body via adapter. Plus they have the cheapest FF (5d). Then get something like an Eos 3 or 1n and your set.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin