Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,539   Online: 1038

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OM problem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm just developing (and typing????) the film now so we'll see.

I have the LR44 alkaline cells in there... better or worst?
    S Raff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by S Raff View Post
    I'm just developing (and typing????) the film now so we'll see.

I have the LR44 alkaline cells in there... better or worst?
    The alkaline cells aren't nearly as reliable as silver oxide - their voltage isn't consistent.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay just while I have some time, I just went to do a test shot and firstly noticed that there was no display in the viewfinder. I continued to fire the shutter and yes unsurprisingly it stuck. Now there is no release with the check and nor does removing the batteries, which had worked in the past.

So these batteries are just three days old and it would seem they may of had the life sucked out of them. Unfortunately I dont have another camera to test on.

Is this what it could all be about, an issue with battery drainage perhaps?
    S Raff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get an OM2, OM2SP or OM4.
    Any particular reason why the OM2n is included, I'm not up on my Oly cameras.
    S Raff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All three of these models are auto mode and manual mode, the OM-2 was the first model to feature auto exposure from Olympus.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...and OM-2 and OM-2n have off switch but OM-2sp not. I would prefer OM-2n but OM-2sp got spot-meter. ;-)
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    ...and OM-2 and OM-2n have off switch but OM-2sp not.
    Yes, but the off switch on the OM-2/OM-2n doesn't cause it to really work all that differently from the OM-2s.

If you pick up an OM-2/OM-2n that has been turned "off" and take a photo, it turns the meter on to set the exposure.

If you leave any of the three cameras "on", they will turn themselves off after a short time.

As a matter of practicality, all three cameras depend on the "auto-off" circuitry to save batteries.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some owners of OM-2 or OM-2n have reported that they have battery life for an year or so, but in my case with OM-2sp it only lasted for two months upon moderate use. I personally do not care much since I like spot metering very much.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So do we think that the alkaline batteries could be the cause of the problems I've had or a drainage issue? or neither :-)
    S Raff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by S Raff View Post
    So do we think that the alkaline batteries could be the cause of the problems I've had or a drainage issue? or neither :-)
    The Alkalines are your problem. The later OM bodies, the OM-PC (OM-40), OM-4, 4T, and 2sp will not work right with alkalines, the camera draws too much current for alkalines to handle and it causes the mirror lock up problem because the camera thinks the battery is dead. You must use silver oxides. Don't use the 3 volt lithium cells either, they give the same issue as the alkaline.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin