Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,748   Posts: 1,483,772   Online: 773

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OM problem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Chris, lets see what happens tomorrow.

Regards
    Stephen
    S Raff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just noticed that in the manual (just found online) it says "Two 1.5V silver oxide (SR44) batteries or alkaline-manganese (LR44) batteries.
    S Raff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by S Raff View Post
    Just noticed that in the manual (just found online) it says "Two 1.5V silver oxide (SR44) batteries or alkaline-manganese (LR44) batteries.
    It says that, but experience over the years has led many (including camera technicians) to a different conclusion.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay well I'll run with some new batteries tomorrow and see how we go.

Thanks for all the input.
    S Raff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Something you want to keep in mind, the OM's with a single digit are Pro grade(OM-1, OM-2), while the double digit and letter designation are entry level or hobbyist cameras(OM-10, OM-G). Now days the prices of the pro grade are running about what the entry level ones are fetching from the uninformed, shop around for an OM-2n, OM2sp or OM-4t if you want auto exposure.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an OM40/PC and I have put many rolls through it using alkaline batteries (LR44) and it works fine with them. Dying or low power batteries cause the same problems you have. The om4t's that I have are a bit pickier, and like the silver oxide batteries, they are not too expensive either ($6.50-$7.75 for a 10 pack) online from that auction site shipped from the USA, but alkalines are a quarter of the price .

I would first suggest you take out the batteries and check the contacts, clean them a bit, and make sure your bottom plate has all the screws, and they are screwed in tight. You can reset the camera mirror by turning your shutter speed selector to B in manual mode.

I hope it all works out, the OM40 is a nice little gem, it handles great(has a rubberized body with molded grips on back and in front), and has really good OTF metering as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    and make sure your bottom plate has all the screws
    okay so there is one screw missing. With the camera upside down and so the lens faces away from you there is a screw to the left of the battery cover and one in front, same edge as the lens. It is the one in front that is missing. Is this a problem?
    S Raff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you sure thats a screw hole? I'm not familiar with that model, but all my OM's that utilize a winder or motor drive have that vacant "screw hole", its an alignment socket for a pin on the winder. BTW, I've always considered the "PC" to stand for plastic crap, handled one once and never picked it up again(the seller only wanted $20 for it). I have owned Olympus cameras since the FTL, which was their first 35mm slr just prior to the OM-1, currantly own three OM-1n's, 2n, and OM-4, threw two OM-10's in the rubbish in less than one years use.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    127 Format
    Don't throw OM's in the trash. Even if you hate them or they are unrepairable, the prisms inside are valuable for OM1 repair.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll sell my inop OM-10 for $100 then.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin