Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,374   Online: 1112

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: OM problem

Shooter
    Multi Format

OM problem

I put new batteries in my OM40 yesterday and today whilst out and about it has been fine. I have been shooting with it set to Auto with TMX3200 rated at 1600. Typically my exposures have been 1.8/2.8 @between 30-250th. All fine.

This evening indoors I was having a play around and set up to take a shot in with fairly low light and was showing f1.8 @ 1/30th. I fire the shutter and it sticks open along with the mirror. Resetting with check on the dial releases it all. I try again and the same.

I have been playing around for some time with this now and what I have found is in manual mode there are no issues. In Auto and Program things play up. It occurs at speeds of around 30/60th and under.

Any ideas why this may only occur in the Auto and Program modes?

Stephen
    S Raff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It may be trying to take the snap for the duration the meter is telling it to do, or the meter can no longer read low light. Try leaving it alone for a couple of minutes before resetting the shutter to see if it will reset itself. If it doesn't reset, you have an answer.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bet is normal long esposure
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the replies.

Okay so I go to the window and aim out doors, its mainly cloudy with a few breaks in it.

Set the camera to 400 iso, Auto mode, f1.8, got a shutter reading of 1/250th, cock the shutter and fire, all is fine.

Now I change the aperture to f5.6, light isnt consistent but now it gives me 1/60th, cock and fire, locks up, three minutes later still hasn't released. This time I have undo the battery cover to reset it?

Set to manual, f5.6 @ 1/60th, all is fine.

Back to Auto, same settings, first time fires but sounds slow, second time sticks.

I have read about cleaning the shutter magnets on an OM10 and guess this may be similar but what confuses me is why it works fine in manual, surely if the magnets were dirty it would stick/play up what ever.
    S Raff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Time to send it in for a CLA.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Being that it was given to me a few days ago as I was in the right place at the right time and not something I would of bought I'm not sure its worth the cost of a CLA. I only have the one standard 50mm for it and dont plan to expand on that either. Maybe I will try and give the magnets a clean myself or just live with it in Manual mode.

Thank you for looking though Rick A
    S Raff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had an OM-4T that recently having a similar problem. The suggested exposure was way off. I simply adjusted the film speed ASA/ISO dial back and forth several times and the set it to the desired setting and everything is working fine now. Possibly the contacts inside the film speed switch needed to be roughed up slightly. Possibly your camera has a different problem and needs to be serviced.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll bet you didn't have any film in the camera when you had your "play around".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the OM40 has two metering systems - one to give an indication of exposure in the viewfinder, and another that actually controls the exposure by metering the light bouncing back from the film and shutter curtains.

If you try some test exposures in lower light without film in the camera, the black pressure plate reflects much less light than film, and as a result the exposure is lengthened.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Dave I'll give that a try.

Matt, yes you are partly right as I did do my 'play around' without a film in the camera, but the problem started when I was 12 frames in and wasted the rest of the film also playing around with settings.

I will put an old film in again and play around with the metering options between normal and ESP.
    S Raff

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Is the exposure reading incorrect?
    Are you using silver oxide or alkaline batteries?

I would not send in a OM40 for repair. Camera bodies are so cheap these days and especially the olympus. Get an OM2, OM2SP or OM4.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin