Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,712   Online: 1210

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

In praise of the lowly Nikon FE

Cheap, sturdy, Meter turns on in a wink. Shoots all day. Batteries last forever. If you love film and love Nikon's, I can't find fault with these little jewels.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am actually waiting on one to arrive. I am slowly rebuilding my nikon gear as it was stolen (seriously, why steal an old film camera?). I was initially going to get an FM, but to hell with my fear of battery operated stuff. can't wait for it to arrive and use it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I carry (2) 1.5 volt batteries in my wallet. Takes up no room. Never used them yet.
    Akiva S.

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love my Nikon FE. The FM was my original camera, but I wanted the AE for when I was feeling lazy, and now I use it much more. The only thing I wish it had was LED lights instead of (or addition to) the needle for metering for low-light situations.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just got one recently, and though the first roll of film hasn't come out yet, I can definitely say it feels fantastic to shoot with it.

Having shot an F80 for almost a year I figured it's time to get more hands-on experience in terms of metering, focus etc.

The one thing about FE that bugs me is I can't see the meter clearly when the scene is dim/dark. Especially if the meter-scale side of my finder has a dark object while the rest is quite reasonably bright.

Since you guys have been shooting the FE for a while, would you say swapping the default K screen with K2 (from the FE2) would make it any easier to use? As I gather, it makes the finder bright and all you have to do is set a +0.5 compensation.

Cheers,
    Som

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also have a question. All of my lenses are non ai lenses, and I know I can mount them on the FE, but can I use auto mode with non ai lenses? Or is it always going to be stuck wide open (metering wise), unless I press the dof preview before pressing the shutter?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have shot with my FM(s), FM2n(s), and FE2(s) since the mid 90s and they have never let me down nor had me wishing they were more. The only things I change is the lenses that I carry around from time to time I tweek the basic kit. When I'm out shooting, I usually carry an FE2 and a FM2n when I want the different metering.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdEye View Post
    I also have a question. All of my lenses are non ai lenses, and I know I can mount them on the FE, but can I use auto mode with non ai lenses? Or is it always going to be stuck wide open (metering wise), unless I press the dof preview before pressing the shutter?
    The proper way to mount non-AI lenses on the FE is to first raise the little coupling lever on the lens mount (located at about the 2:00 position). Press the button beside it and lift it out of the way, then mount the lens. Metering would then be done by stopping the lens down to take your reading. If you don't raise that lever the FE won't meter correctly with non-AI lenses unless you stop the lens down (except when you happen to be shooting wide open).

The same is true for the FM but not for the FE2 and FM2 which don't have that little lever on their lens mounts. They were intended to be used with AI lenses only.

The Nikkormat EL/ELW models do provide AE or normal metered-manual without any stopping down required with non-AI lenses or any Nikon mount lens having the meter coupling prong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No metering with non-AI lenses on FM or FE. FE(2 and FM3a) drawback is the dark needle on the left. I do not think changing the screen will help. Often I have to turn camera a few degrees to the right to see shutter speed chosen, but you get used to it, The FM (2) got it right with a black on white shutter speed reading. Small quibble for $80 or less.
    Akiva S.

My Blog

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have 3 of 'em. Tough, light, fast-handling. Among Nikon's best.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin