Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,027   Online: 916

Shooter
    35mm

Praktica Super TL-3 problems :(

Hi there,

Recently someone gave me a Praktica Super TL 3 camera.
    I was just trying if the shutter works etc, and everything did work.

Now, a few minutes later, I suddenly heard a big bang and it doesn't work anymore.
    The ocular is black when I look through it (and theres no lens cap on it )
    and the lever, spool and shutter release won't work anymore either.

Does anyone know what might be the problem? Did I kill the poor thing?

Thanks in advance!

Love, Steph

Shooter
    Multi Format
    dead battery?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MrclSchprs View Post
    dead battery?
    Hmm gonna check that, but isn't the lever still supposed to work, even with a dead battery?
    Last edited by blowuptheworld; 11-28-2011 at 12:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

foc

Shooter
    35mm
    The battery in the Praktica Super TL3 is only for the light meter. The shutter is totaly mechanical. From what you discribe above it does sound like the poor thing has died.
    Repair would be expensive compared to the price of another camera. I would suggest you keep the lens and get another body. As far as I know the TL series of Prakticas had a very sturdy shutter and give years of good service, dispite what some people say about Prakticas. I have had a few MTL 3's and MTL5's pass through my hands and they all worked perfectly, the only problem I had with them was the light seals perrished. I fitted new light seals using the felt strip from used film cassettes.

Last year I uncovered my 1st SLR I bought when I was 16, in the attic, a Praktica Super TL. I cleaned it and the shutter worked perfectly (26 years after it was put in the attic) even though it's the older cloth type shutter. BTW the camera is 37 years old so it just show you that they are good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, shutters in M42 Practicas are very sturdy, but a bit lazy on fastest setting.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by foc View Post
    The battery in the Praktica Super TL3 is only for the light meter. The shutter is totaly mechanical. From what you discribe above it does sound like the poor thing has died.
    Repair would be expensive compared to the price of another camera. I would suggest you keep the lens and get another body. As far as I know the TL series of Prakticas had a very sturdy shutter and give years of good service, dispite what some people say about Prakticas. I have had a few MTL 3's and MTL5's pass through my hands and they all worked perfectly, the only problem I had with them was the light seals perrished. I fitted new light seals using the felt strip from used film cassettes.

Last year I uncovered my 1st SLR I bought when I was 16, in the attic, a Praktica Super TL. I cleaned it and the shutter worked perfectly (26 years after it was put in the attic) even though it's the older cloth type shutter. BTW the camera is 37 years old so it just show you that they are good.

Hmmmm! I think im gonna try another battery and if that doesnt work I guess it did actually die.. Thanks for the help guys!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin