Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,515   Posts: 1,543,725   Online: 899

Shooter
    Medium Format

nikon 800mm f5.6 monopod

I am looking for suitable monopod for this. I've shortlisted the gitzo GM3551 with 18kg capacity. I am 182cm tall. Is the GM5561T simply too short? I plan to use this with a Really Right Stuff monopod head.

thank you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excuse my speaking in English measurements - The GM 5561T, if what I found is correct, appears to be barely longer than 5 feet, and if I did my conversion correctly, you are about 6 feet? The head may add a couple of inches and the lens/camera itself would add several to get the viewfinder near eye level, but I would think it would be too close, especially if you are going to operate on unlevel surfaces where the monopod would rest a couple of inches lower than your feet. Or if you are going to be pointing the camera upward a lot, you'll want to raise the monopod rather than crouch down frequently or for extended periods. I'd go with the longer monopod.

But both of those are about four or five times more money than I've ever spent on a monopod. I use a good sturdy Manfrotto/Bogen, and it supports an older 400 2.8, about the same weight as the 800 5.6 you are talking about. (Personally, I don't 'get' the attraction to Gitzos and their twist tightening systems, especially if you are going to be adjusting the height often - and some of their monopods have not 3 but 4 (or 5, like the GM5561T) sections to deal with).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

800mm

With a 800mm, wouldn't you be better off with a tripod than a monopod?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks. i might as well go for a taller monopod. i can then work on a platform, and have the camera at the same level. this would also deal with pointing the lens upward, where i will need the extra height.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would reconsider using a ballhead. Monopod to lens and that's it. With something this weight, I wouldn't want anything in between that could be a weak point. Can't say I've ever seen ballheads used on long lenses on monopods and this is big ticket stuff. ymmv

-curious, why a ballhead and what are you shooting ?
    Last edited by canuhead; 11-28-2011 at 10:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

JSU

Shooter
    35mm
    A monopod, like a tripod, is best not used fully extended.

I'm very partial to Gitzo carbon fiber monopods, when used at ~80 - 85 % total length, they can be very solid. I have a Bogen tilt head on my Gitzo. It adds maybe three inches total to the length, not much mass and is very solid, too. Best of all, though, the monopod can now be folded along the length of the lens making carrying by a lens strap pretty comfortable without the obtrusion of a monopod extending at right angles to the lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Now I use the lens on my friend's systematic gitzo tripod. There are a few compelling reasons to consider a monopod, lower weight for carrying, faster setup, faster moving locations, smaller footprint. Could I find any anecdotes or stories online, of the balance of the lens on a monopod? It's lighter than the 600 f4 ais, but its about the balance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For some time I used a 600 f5.6 ais coupled with an F3 and motordrive, this was on top of a Manfrotto 334B.

I know this is a smaller unit, but the best part of that monopod, is the pistol grip adjuster directly under the top of the monopod.

I’m 176cm so this was alright for me, just.

My suggestion is to find something that it is possible to have at a height that you are stretching to get to the viewfinder on your toes. This seems to work as a height requirement for most situations where the monopod may be in a slight depression.

I would not affix any kind of head, you will find at some stage the ball head becomes loose and you’ll have a very heavy combination working feverishly to break your wrist, I know this from personal experience with the 600 and a fastish 400.

The pistol grip adjuster is fantastic, especially if you find you are on steps, or a grandstand, you just quickly adjust the monopod height in about 5 seconds, focus, then shoot.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Manfrotto 681 monopod can handle a 26.4 lb max load and extends up to 63.25 inches. Even though this tripod is shorter than my 73-inch height, I find it tall enough to meet my needs.

Since my big lenses have their own rotating tripod mount, I have never needed a head between my lens and my monopod. I do, however, use Arca-Swiss plates when I need to change lenses quickly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/5647309023/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/5630119100/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photographers0030b sml.jpg   IMG_1168b sml.jpg  

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Ah, the old reverse Michael Jackson trick.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin