Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,580   Online: 972

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like my Nikons black and my Leicas chrome.
    But that might have to do with getting lenses accordingly.
    Black lenses for black bodies and chrome lenses for chrome cameras.

Just my personal taste

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, me too!
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love my old chrome Leica's

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I generally prefer chrome but have to admit some bodies just look better in black to me. Case in point the canon FTb nice in chrome but love it in black.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've always preferred black bodies, especially brassy ones! But the old chrome bodies seemed to look better after hard use.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also think that different cameras can look better either in chrome or black.

For a user, though, I definitely prefer black: it really does tend to be less noticeable.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waltereegho View Post
    I very much prefer all-black over chrome, because chrome cameras are real attention seekers. Back when I had my chrome AE-1, I couldn't take one picture without ten people turning their heads and staring. You can forget photographing people that way.
    Funny, thats why I like the chrome bodies!

No really, I do like many of my cameras in chrome. There are some that look pretty sweet in black, but it is used so often now it gets boring. All the DSLRS look exactly the same. They just dont have any character.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    I think some cameras like XE-7 and XD-11 look sexy in black but my srT101 looks better in chrome.
    I have the XE-1 which is the European version of the XE-7. It is mainly chrome but most of the prism cover is black. It too is sexy!

I used to only like black cameras but I think I prefer chrome now. In my father's collection there are two Nikon Fs. One chrome, one black. I prefer the look of the chrome one.

I think my three chrome Spotmatics would like a black Spotmatic F to keep them company though!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waltereegho View Post
    I very much prefer all-black over chrome, because chrome cameras are real attention seekers. Back when I had my chrome AE-1, I couldn't take one picture without ten people turning their heads and staring. You can forget photographing people that way.
    Actually, I think the attention issue is related more to camera-type than just the "black vs. chrome issue." I do my street shooting with a pair of chrome M6s; and I have never found that people pay too much attention to what I am doing. Those few who do take notice, either do not care or (more likely, in my view) do not take the little Leicas seriously (or to be a "threat" of any sort).
    Insofar as preferences: I own both black as well as chrome bodies (2 black F2ASs, a black F3, a black F3Hp and of course a black F5 as well as a chrome F2AS, a chrome F2A and 2 chrome F2s (DE1s). With the exception of one of my F2AS bodies, all show their history; the chrome F2 bodies - which range from 71xxxxx to 80xxxxx - all have aged much better, despite similar levels of use and abuse. And yes, like you, I have found that as soon as I hit the shutter button, heads turn (an MD2 drive - but even the sound of a typical 35mm SLR - is not exactly subtle).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    Actually, I think the attention issue is related more to camera-type than just the "black vs. chrome issue." I do my street shooting with a pair of chrome M6s; and I have never found that people pay too much attention to what I am doing. Those few who do take notice, either do not care or (more likely, in my view) do not take the little Leicas seriously (or to be a "threat" of any sort).
    Insofar as preferences: I own both black as well as chrome bodies (2 black F2ASs, a black F3, a black F3Hp and of course a black F5 as well as a chrome F2AS, a chrome F2A and 2 chrome F2s (DE1s). With the exception of one of my F2AS bodies, all show their history; the chrome F2 bodies - which range from 71xxxxx to 80xxxxx - all have aged much better, despite similar levels of use and abuse. And yes, like you, I have found that as soon as I hit the shutter button, heads turn (an MD2 drive - but even the sound of a typical 35mm SLR - is not exactly subtle).
    So did you find the chrome finish stands better on abuse? I never had a black metal body except one F3 that I bought used, and it has brassing on the corners. I've seen a lot of beat up black bodies but not too many chrome.
    But I agree with some folks here that black finish has its own beauty too for some models. And those beat up black bodies, they're just like transported from war zone!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin