Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,447   Online: 1065

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    agw

Shooter
    35mm
    All my Leicas are silver chrome. All my Nikons are black.

If I were to get another Leica (hmm, an M6 maybe...), it definitely would have to be chrome.
    I would like to get a nice, silver chrome finish Nikon F2 or FM3a.

So, I guess I actually like silver chrome more than black (paint or otherwise).

Even all my M-mount lenses are silver finish (including the new ones).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Seen recently advertised here in UK by the same dealer:

Leica M4 body in chrome.......£595. .......Leica M4 body, black paint version.....£1,200.

Crazy!!!!

agw

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    Seen recently advertised here in UK by the same dealer:

Leica M4 body in chrome.......£595. .......Leica M4 body, black paint version.....£1,200.

Crazy!!!!
    There were much less black paint M4's made than silver chrome finish, so they are much more "collectible". Also, not all black M4's are black paint. Later they used black chrome finish, the same as which was used afterwards on M4-2, M4-P, M6 black models. It wears down much differently from black paint - instead of nice brassing you get quite an ugly "graying" when the black chrome starts to wear down. Due to this, black paint Leicas are by some favored over black chrome models (among the black ones).

Shooter
    35mm
    How about brass?

Normally, I acquire one of these classic cameras primarily based on functionality and cosmetics as secondary. However, if I like it, then I try to acquire one in better condition. But in the case of the Pentax MX, I had to acquire a black one too because it is simply sharp looking camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Black is sexy. And it comes up gleaming with a polish — I've buffed out thousands of scuffs and marks from black bodies over the years, the latest my Pentax 67 (even the seller can't believe it is the same dirty camera he offloaded to me on eBay). Never tried polishing chrome, but for black, I was smitten by it many moons ago.

In the 1980s, black was considered reserved for professionals on an hierarchical scale. If you owned a black body, you stood out, sort of were revered. All part of the culture of that era. Chrome was passé. Uni students would have their Pentax K1000 and Minolta SRT101s; others higher up in the pecking order — like the President of the camera club I was a member of at the time, angled madly for the tech-laden Canon A1, F3 or FA. If you had a choice between chrome and black, black always looked a lot more sexier and impressive, especially amongst the Sunday set with their crisp, chick white Country Road shirts, corduroys, RM Williams belts and gold bling. It stood out. It screamed boldly, "Look at moi! Look at moi!". I've owned two chrome FE2 bodies some time between 1989 and 1991 (in my student days) before going to Canon's T90 (1988), then the EOS 5 (1994) and then the EOS 1N (1996). My very first camera (1979??) was a chrome OM10, then OM2n. Black bodies are polycarbonate, helping to absorb and dissipate shock. And design wise, they are curvy and sympathetic to hands. It's true black bodies will absorb heat, distorting top plates, LCD displays and even the mirror box. Chrome reflects light and thus heat. Maybe no good for surveillance, either, when you don't want a flash of shiny metal giving your position away. And so, on and on we can conject and conspire about the merits and pitfalls of each. Today, I appreciate the beauty of the chrome and black bodies and wouldn't be so silly to pick one over the other based solely on it being chrome or a "plastic fantastic".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1341.JPG  
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 11-30-2011 at 09:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Never tried polishing chrome, but for black, I was smitten by it many moons ago.
    Don't try polishing satin chrome.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Don't try polishing satin chrome.
    Nup. Just black...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Very timely thread, as I was just wondering why Hasselblad no longer seems to make black 503cw, only chrome.
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    How about brass?

What is this? I'm rapped by it. My imagination tells me the brass camera above would come up absolutely spectacularly with a D&P (detail and polish), to the point where it would require handling with cotton gloves and become more of a talking piece than perhaps a working antique.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 11-30-2011 at 09:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I really dislike chrome camerad. I think they are kitsch.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin