Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,323   Online: 964

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Been thinking about getting one of the refurbished Zorki 1 in bright chrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I picked up a chrome FM recently and whilst searching I noticed that the black variant still seems to hold value better. I would have preferred a black version but what's the point?

I'm a sucker for a bit of brassing though

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really like my chrome FE. Digital cameras are (mostly) all black, so the chrome looks more "retro". I had a planned to get a black FM so I could differentiate between them quickly and have a camera that didn't rely on batteries but I found that the FE is a battery miser and when I found a black one in a thrift store I snatched it up for my wife. I still like mine in chrome better though

Adam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MFstooges View Post
    So did you find the chrome finish stands better on abuse? I never had a black metal body except one F3 that I bought used, and it has brassing on the corners. I've seen a lot of beat up black bodies but not too many chrome.
    But I agree with some folks here that black finish has its own beauty too for some models. And those beat up black bodies, they're just like transported from war zone!
    Actually, it's a variant of the "white car syndrome": the chrome cameras just don't show the wear as obviously as the black bodies do. Insofar as the "war zone" issue goes: For many it reflects the wear and tear of innumerable adventures and a life lived to the fullest (i.e. picture first, dammit!); for others, however, it is something of a fiction: it allows some of the "talkers" and "collectors" (read: the technophiles", and BS artists) to imagine/pretend that they, in the course of their real/imagined photographic journeying, have extended themselves above and beyond the call of photographic duty to capture that once in-a-lifetime-image, the evidence, of course, displayed for all to see (i.e. the brassed and beat-up camera body).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    Actually, it's a variant of the "white car syndrome": the chrome cameras just don't show the wear as obviously as the black bodies do. Insofar as the "war zone" issue goes: For many it reflects the wear and tear of innumerable adventures and a life lived to the fullest (i.e. picture first, dammit!); for others, however, it is something of a fiction: it allows some of the "talkers" and "collectors" (read: the technophiles", and BS artists) to imagine/pretend that they, in the course of their real/imagined photographic journeying, have extended themselves above and beyond the call of photographic duty to capture that once in-a-lifetime-image, the evidence, of course, displayed for all to see (i.e. the brassed and beat-up camera body).

Good morning, Bradley;

Sir, you may well have a point there. Back in the days before I bought and later began driving a white Ford Econoline E310 van, I mainly drove BMW motorcycles. While driving through New England, I stopped at a BMW shop along side of the highway I was traveling. The night before, I had just finished traveling 450 miles in the rain. The owner of the shop where I had stopped looked at my BMW R-60/2 and told me that I was not a true BMW rider, because my BMW needed to be washed. At the time it had about 120,000 miles on it.

I did not seem to understand that I was supposed to be taking much more time out of the driving I was doing, and should have been putting that time into the washing, polishing, and waxing of the vehicle instead. Earlier I had put 54,000 miles on a R-51/3, and 87,000 miles on my R-60/1 before a silver Chevrolet Corvette found it one morning in Washington, D. C. The R-60/1 fought back valiantly; it punctured holes in that fiber glass body.

Well, at least I could see an analogy there.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That shop owner should have been selling Harleys instead. True BMW riders do not preen, they ride.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did my "Iron butt" on a Honda
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    I did my "Iron butt" on a Honda
    So did I. I don't have a BMW bike, but I've known plenty of serious riders who have, and I think some of them only washed the bike when it had enough crud on it to affect the fuel mileage- or the handling!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin