Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,119   Online: 909

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 28mm or 35mm

Shooter
    35mm
    50/28

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    As a people-shooter, which would you pair a 50mm with?
    A 28mm tends to distort facial features and even arms, legs, etc.

For people 35mm, 50mm, or for head and shoulders 85mm, 90mm, 100mm, or 105mm are best..
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Minolta 35mm f/1.8 as my 'normal' lens with various camera bodies. It works well for most candid street photos. 85mm & 135mm are my other choices for primes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I now am back to carrying primes instead of zooms. 28,50 and 85 are in my bag now. My fav zoom only went as low as 35 and I found that a little wanting. Sneaker zoom had to kick in and I always seemed to have to move back. To me, 28 is as wide as your going to get without getting the visuals of an ultra-wide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What do you mean by shooting "people"? Is it portraiture with models or on the street with strangers in candid moments? With a 28mm you have more to consider with filling the frame and as stated above, that's when distortion starts to really kick in. You also need to consider how you fare as a wide-angle shooter. Some people like the wide look, but fail to use a wide angle well. Maybe you're intrigued by a 28mm, but would shoot better with the 35mm -you might need to try both. Would you consider 28mm and 40mm? I think that would be a good pair if you were only looking to have 2 lenses, but leaning more towards wider angles (assuming your system has a 40mm option).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

35 is too close to 50, so go with 28, to have more versatility. It is not too wide, you can shoot people even with 15mm heliar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    As a people-shooter, which would you pair a 50mm with?

I have a 50mm and I'm dying to buy a wide-angle lens. The FOV for 28mm is greater ofcourse but I feel that it might be too wide; judging from flickr, it can look very good or very awful. The 35mm seems safer but maybe redundant with a 50mm. So if you can only bring two lenses, would it be a 50/28 or a 50/35?
    As you can see - most of the combos the others offer is pretty much of personal preference. If you have a chance try both taking one of a kind for a walk..then judge which of the test walk collected more shhh-I-wish-I-had-the-other-one thoughts
    cheers
    Dominik
    http://distantmoon.pl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not a 50mm fan, so I'd swap the 50 for a 35mm and then get a "real" wide such as 24 or even 20/21mm...

If you like your 50 though, then 28mm would be the better match, as 35 isn't *that* different.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    I see 35mm as a wide normal and 28 as a long wide, so they are not exactly interchangeable.

You may be different, but I personally don't see the need to have both 50 and 35 as most people choose one or the other for their standard FL. I shoot both 28 and 35, usually one of them is paired with the 105/2.5. If you like your 50, then 28 could easily be the better choice.

Shooter
    35mm
    I prefer 28, 35 is not wide enough. It depends on you to make your pictures ugly or not.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin