Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,637   Posts: 1,668,412   Online: 903

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 28mm or 35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    28mm is very nice. Similar to a 35mm, but the depth of field is far greater - handy for zone focusing during street shooting. If you need the field if view of a 35mm, take a few steps forward

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

-ethan

blog?

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd go with the 28.
    However, I have a 35 and a 50 in my bag as I sold my 28. I'm in the market for another and will definitely add it back in the mix.

Be careful, though using the 28 and moving closer to your subject. I know some people suggested this, but it's not quite the same as a 35. Also, 28 can be tricky if you're getting too close as it does distort. I don't know what system you're using, but in my experience with Canon the 28 f/1.8 is a stellar lens with minimal distortion that is easily correctable in post processing.

Best of luck to you!
    Matthew
    Ultimately, Photography is subversive, not when it frightens, repels, or even stigmatizes, but when it is pensive, when it thinks. --from Camera Lucida, Roland Barthes

---
    Websites: HeyMatthew.com | Flickr | SeventyFivePointFour
    Cameras: Canon 5D2 | Ricoh GRD III | Fuji Klasse

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have all three lenses and have used them for more than twenty years IMO the best partner if you use a a 50mm lens as your "standard lens" is a 28 mm, because it's not so close in angle of view to the 50 to be a waste of money, however if you use a 35 mm lens as your standard a 24mm is a better choice for the same reason.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 12-02-2011 at 08:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    If your using a Leica type camera then the 28/50 for sure. You can always move forward a bit with a 28 or backward a bit with a 50 to emulate the 35. With a SLR get them both.

Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They're such different lenses, with such a different look, even though they're fairly close in focal length...I just think there's a totally different look and feel between the two.

As such, it's personal preference - I'd advise trying the 28 out first for a bit...if it suits you, that's your choice. If you feel it may be too wide, then you're a 35 guy.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    50/35/28/24/20/17
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a 24,85,100.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like 50/35 so much I have two of each : )

Also disagree that 35mm is too close to 50mm.
    But, for me, 28mm is too close to 35mm, so there's a 25mm and 21mm in my bag too.
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I find the 28 to b e too wide for portraits. Heads tend to become mis-shapen out near the edges. I use 35 and 50 on both my Leica M3 and my Contax IIIa.
    Vic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    50/35/28/24/20/17
    And a friendly Sherpa to carry that all...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin