Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,699   Online: 841

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Also a good idea to develop the habit of holding the camera pointing down (lens down) while changing lenses. That way, you have less risk of some bit of dust/sand/whatever from falling into the camera while it's open. Let gravity help you keep your camera clean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisatchie View Post
    I've been changing lenses in bright sunlight since 1974. I've used Pentax, Leica, Canon and Nikon, and I've never had ANY problems with light leaking past the shutters, no matter how long I left the lens off.
    Likewise (except for the Nikon bit). I do a lot of shooting in the California desert, which is about as rough a test as you could ask for for lightproofness---I have yet to find a leaky shutter on a reasonably modern camera. I think it's mostly a theoretical problem, but I'm sure someone will now turn up who's had the opposite experience.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes you can. You don't even need to change the lens under subdued light. The thing is light tight. Remember, your lens lets in light too---else you can't even use the optical viewfinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Likewise (except for the Nikon bit). I do a lot of shooting in the California desert, which is about as rough a test as you could ask for for lightproofness---I have yet to find a leaky shutter on a reasonably modern camera. I think it's mostly a theoretical problem, but I'm sure someone will now turn up who's had the opposite experience.

-NT

Copal Square shutters (largely used in Cosina cameras) are notorious light leakers. In SLR models that's also blocked by the mirror, so not a big problem, but some early rangefinders using that shutter did have problems.
    IIRC, C/V rangefndrs have a double shutter (or an extra shutter blind) to solve that problem.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by edge-t View Post
    Yes you can. You don't even need to change the lens under subdued light. The thing is light tight. Remember, your lens lets in light too---else you can't even use the optical viewfinder.
    Though with the lens on, most of the light is diverted to the viewfinder.
    With the lens off, there is more of a possibility of light sneaking around edges...

Still not a good idea to leave the camera sitting around in bright light with the lens off (depends on specific models of course), also for the stated cleanliness reasons.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    Copal Square shutters (largely used in Cosina cameras)
    And Nikkormat/Nikomat, Ricoh Singlex/TLS/etc., Konica T series, among others.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin