Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,266   Posts: 1,680,826   Online: 783

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Can I change a lens on a 35mm (canon AE-1) while film is loaded?

Sorry if this is totally absurb of a question but I'm a total noob at shooting film on an srl and I don't know if I can change my lenses on my new to me AE-1 while film is loaded. Will it affect my film if I change the lens? I got 4 lenses to go with it and want to try out some of them but I am clueless as you can see XD Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes you can. It's the shutter curtain that prevents the film from being exposed.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nothing to worry about - the film compartment is light proof until you press the shutter release. Welcome to APUG!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks so much you guys I look forward to making this place a new homepage of sorts as I'm becoming very obsessed with film very very fast XD I am used to workign with my dslr but this is a whole other world to me and now I'm so anxious to see my first film XD I'm afraid it will be terrible ^^; I will try and post some once I get it developed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I asked the same question 30 years ago, only that I ignored the advice not to change the lens at the beach with a breeze blowing salt-laden air around. I did just that. Three years later my OM10 was no more. Beware.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would be wise to change lenses in subdued light. =]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Anayari;

Others have answered your question. I will merely add to that; "Welcome to APUG, and to film!"

It is a little different, and, it does require a willingness to be patient and wait to see what is on the film. Sorry, no digital like instant gratification in seeing what is stored on the memory card. Others might also say that it builds character.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless Canon is even worse than I think it is, then YES!

On all cameras, it's best not to leave the lens off and let bright sunshine into the camera body for a long time (from seconds to days, depending how light-tight the shutter (+mirror) actually is), but not a real world problem except in rare cases.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To protect against excessive light, wind-blown contaminants, etc., when I change a lens I turn away from the sun and hug the camera to my chest, keeping it on the strap around my neck, changing it quickly.
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been changing lenses in bright sunlight since 1974. I've used Pentax, Leica, Canon and Nikon, and I've never had ANY problems with light leaking past the shutters, no matter how long I left the lens off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin