Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,777   Online: 923

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AE-1

Shooter
    35mm

AE-1

Hi again! Sorry to ask so many questions but I am thirsty for some advice. Like I said in my previous post I just got a Canon AE-1 on the evilbay after admiring many users pictures on Flickr. What I know about photography has been self taught through practice and reading on forums and books. I only shot with point and shoot 35mm cams before aquiring my dslr many years ago and so I am now trying to teach myself to use a film slr with this camera. I was lucky to get the manual with it and have studied it before loading some film and taking pics but I feel like I am starting all over learning a new format and the metter puzzles me ^^; I'm not sure if I'm using it right I guess my first film qill tell me just how bad I've messed up. Anyhoo the AE-1 came with these lenses and I was wondering what your thoughts are about them and if I should sell them and buy some canon lenses instead (other than the nifty fifty 1.8 the rest are third party)

I got a Tokina 35-105mm 1:3.5-4.3 (I've searched a bit for this lens and I'm not sure if it has a macro??? cna anyone tell me about this one pls?)

Asanuma 135mm 1:2.8

and Asanuma 80-200mm 1:4.0

Any info about this lenses and directions as to where to start reading up/ do for a newbie will be eternally gratefull

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Welcome back to film! What you didn't say is what you intend to photograph (family, friends, architecture, street, night-street, portrait, nature, sports, birds, etc)? Lenses compliment your style/interest and keeping those lenses or getting different glass all depend on your interest/style etc. Personally I have 2 cameras both have the same lens (a 50mm) and that is all I need for now. I couldnt imagine a 135 or other focal length, but for you this might be too restrictive. See what I mean?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Oh and Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual, Henry Horenstein is a great read!

Shooter
    35mm
    Righ I totally get u I used to be on flickr be jsut deleted my account because I wanted to start over of sorts. I mostlyyyy like shooting dolls, toys and miniatures and portraits. My set up for my dslr canon is 50mm 1.4, 100mm 2.8 i think macro and I used to have an 85mm but sold it because I ostly used the 50mm rendering that one sort of useless for me. I seem to be keen to my primes and not zooms but i wouldn't count a zoom out either.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh oh and I would lvoe to be able to do my own processing but from what I've seen of that I'm extremely intimidated because I don't knwo if there is an alternate way of making prints other than buying an enlarger and those seem big and expensive but maybe I'm just clueless still? Is there any way to make a darkroom in my say bathroom and make prints still???? sory for the bombarding in questions!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best "bang for your bucks" are the Canon FD lenses. They are the only ones I use on my A model Canon bodies. I have a few zooms by Tamron but that is it. Happy shooting and welcome to APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.

You were wondering about bathroom darkrooms? There is a whole thread about that .

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/4...darkrooms.html

That is just to allow you to see that it isn't all that difficult to do. Because it isn't.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whoa, slow down and take a breath. Your Canon is going to be just like your Dslr except that you have to put film in it and you won't be able to see what you have shot until it gets processed. To start, did you just shoot your Dslr on auto/program or do you know how the meter/shutter/aperture work? If you know how those three things work together you are golden but if not then you will have to learn. I would start by going to Walgreen or CVS and buying their cheep in house film and also have them process it. I do that whenever I get a new/old camera just to test the shutter speeds and check for light leaks. The inexpensive film will allow you to get familiar with your equipment and practice for about a $1/roll. When you feel comfortable with all of the controls on your camera then you can pick a good film for getting really good. The lenses you have should do well enough for you at this time and as you progress and start finding your own voice with the camera then step up to better glass. My advice on lenses is to stick with the 50 until you become more proficient and then start experimenting.

Welcome to APUG.
    Last edited by guitstik; 12-01-2011 at 03:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to Apug. Keep the lenses you have. See what kind of pictures you can take. Later slowly buy lenses accoding to your needs. FD lenses are cheap now a days.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome!

I've used the Canon AE-1 since 1980. A very nice camera. The FD lenses are a great buy now and are very sharp. You can't go wrong with them; I have not seen any of the lenses you mention. If you want macro, look for the canon FD 80-200 zoom, it has a macro setting on it and there seem to be a lot of them for sale. The 135 mm focal length appears to be used for portraits, I have a 135mm fix length FD lens and that is what it was advertised as.

You can do your own film developing easily, I do not have a darkroom, but purchased a changing tent that makes it easy to load the film in the development tank. I use a small washtub to bring my chemicals to the right temperature. For developing, I started with Ilford film and chemistry, mainly because it was easier to get than the Kodak products. Here is an excellent intro to developing your own film http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200629163442455.pdf. Also Check out another contributor to APUG, Jason Brunner. His free videos on youtube have really been valuable, aside from hilarious! http://www.youtube.com/user/alternat.../8/6P9bNcBE_Hc, his web site is http://www.jasonbrunner.com/ where you can find his DVD on developing.

The Harry Horenstein book mentioned in one of the replies is the best intro to Black and White photography I have found.

The only thing to beware of is a peculiar problem called G.A.S... Gadget Acquisition Syndrome, You start with one format and one camera and then you JUST HAVE TO TRY 1. a rangefinder 2. medium format 3. large format ....So , you may get G.A.S. at some point in the future

There are many great folks here on APUG who are generous with their knowledge. They have helped me a lot.

Have Fun!
    Howard

The artist's world is limitless. It can be found anywhere, far from where he lives or a few feet away. It is always on his doorstep. - Paul Strand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin