Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,866   Posts: 1,583,202   Online: 853

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
    Thanks guys. It sounds like I can't go too far wrong with a AF-S 105 mm.
    With earlier lenses in manual mode is there any indication in the viewfinder when the lens is in focus?
    Yup. Dot appears in the viewfinder with over/under indicators, e.g., >0<

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
    Thanks guys. It sounds like I can't go too far wrong with a AF-S 105 mm.
    With earlier lenses in manual mode is there any indication in the viewfinder when the lens is in focus?
    The 105 most mentioned is the AIS 105. It's ugly and works great.

I have the 105/dc; expensive but as good as it gets for nice blur in the background and clean sharp in-focus area.

I only have an f4s, and it has arrows to tell you which way to rotate the lens, and a green light to show acceptable focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Yup. Dot appears in the viewfinder with over/under indicators, e.g., >0<
    Fine, if you're happy with over half of your photos being in less than perfect focus...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    Fine, if you're happy with over half of your photos being in less than perfect focus...
    That's just so untrue. Point us toward the voluminous complaints about this feature apart from your own. Show us the evidence if being regarded as something other than a crank matters to you, OK? Just adding the YMMV disclaimer would help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A recent German magazine published tests of the AF accuracy of the current crop of DSLRs (OT - but they are likely to be at least as accurate as an F4, hopfully some progress has been made in AF since c. 1988), using many different lenses,focusing distances, subject types, etc. Different results according to brand: Canon was worst, with only something like 30% perfectly in focus, 20% acceptably in focus and 50% out of focus (going from memory here). Nikon did better with about 50% in focus.

This fits my own (fairly extensive) experience of AF usually not being as accurate as manual focus (at least with a decent viewfinder).

I'll get hold of of a copy the magazine sometime soon (I quickly read the test in a library): it really was interesting.

But if you find 100% perfect focus using the focus indicator light, then YMMV (and your quality standards too)...
    Last edited by Rol_Lei Nut; 12-05-2011 at 01:44 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added

Shooter
    35mm
    OK Rol_Lei Nut, now the OP at least knows how you arrived at your one line comment but it would have been helpful if you'd said from the start that you believe that all AF systems are faulty in more than 50% of cases and this is based on your experience and an article on DSLRs.

If APUG is going to be useful in threads where the OP is seeking information then we all need to know why someone has said what he/she has said.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dear Pentaxuser,

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind...

Cheers!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    OK Rol_Lei Nut, now the OP at least knows how you arrived at your one line comment but it would have been helpful if you'd said from the start that you believe that all AF systems are faulty in more than 50% of cases and this is based on your experience and an article on DSLRs.

If APUG is going to be useful in threads where the OP is seeking information then we all need to know why someone has said what he/she has said.

pentaxuser
    Agree. Without documentation it's just hot air.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    A recent German magazine published tests of the AF accuracy of the current crop of DSLRs (OT - but they are likely to be at least as accurate as an F4, hopfully some progress has been made in AF since c. 1988), using many different lenses,focusing distances, subject types, etc. Different results according to brand: Canon was worst, with only something like 30% perfectly in focus, 20% acceptably in focus and 50% out of focus (going from memory here). Nikon did better with about 50% in focus.

This fits my own (fairly extensive) experience of AF usually not being as accurate as manual focus (at least with a decent viewfinder).

I'll get hold of of a copy the magazine sometime soon (I quickly read the test in a library): it really was interesting.

But if you find 100% perfect focus using the focus indicator light, then YMMV (and your quality standards too)...
    Better eye sight, perhaps? No one nails focus 100% of the time.

Sony's new NEX 5n and NEX 7 have a "focus peaking" function made for manual lenses that leaves little doubt about focus accuracy--a feature that should become common since Sony makes a large percentage of today's sensors.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Better eye sight, perhaps? No one nails focus 100% of the time.

Sony's new NEX 5n and NEX 7 have a "focus peaking" function made for manual lenses that leaves little doubt about focus accuracy--a feature that should become common since Sony makes a large percentage of today's sensors.
    The old Nikon N90s had the same thing. Nothing new there.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin