Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,112   Online: 966
      
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    The old Nikon N90s had the same thing. Nothing new there.
    Yours does that? Wow! None of mine do. Don't think we're on the same page. Better check out how Sony does it on the NEX 5n and NEX 7.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Daventry, Northamptonshire, England
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    6,871
    The ability of AF to deliver accurate focusing v MF is interesting. When sports photographers used analogue cameras, such as the F5, my impression was that nearly all the pics they took were in focus. If it was less than 50% then the photographers were wasting 50% of their films and presumably the hight burst rate of shooting that the F5 was capable of would not have helped.

    So it seems that out of focus sports shots in newspaper and magazines should have been much more common than they seemed to be. I have never seen any articles saying that the likes of the F5 had only at best a 50% reliablilty and that a lot of film was wasted but that whereas the digital AFs were no better, the ability to shoot in a virtual unlimited fashion with a high MB card now saved them from having to settle for an out of focus picture

    Anecdotally and turning now to my own system( Pentax) I rely on the green signal that appears in the viewfinder to tell me that I have my target in focus. I have frequently tried the same AF lens in the MF setting first then thrown the switch to AF and in every case the AF focusing was accurate.

    What I have found is that occasionally I have allowed the AF system to focus on the wrong part of the scenes so what I wanted to be in sharp focus wasn't but this was a combination of a system that had a very limited range of focus points compared to the likes of the much more sophisticated F5 and my not paying enough attention to what the focus point had settled on.

    pentaxuser

  3. #23
    Eric Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Calgary AB, Canada
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    4,238
    Images
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Yours does that? Wow! None of mine do. Don't think we're on the same page. Better check out how Sony does it on the NEX 5n and NEX 7.
    I get a focus confirmation in the viewfinder even when in manual focus mode.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

    "civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

    "The Dude abides" - the Dude

  4. #24
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    I get a focus confirmation in the viewfinder even when in manual focus mode.
    Right. "Focus peaking" is a little different:

    http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/06...ex-3-and-nex-5

    Pretty sure your Nikon doesn't do that.

  5. #25
    Eric Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Calgary AB, Canada
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    4,238
    Images
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Right. "Focus peaking" is a little different:

    http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/06...ex-3-and-nex-5

    Pretty sure your Nikon doesn't do that.
    Not sure about the technology, but it sounds like the claims of being "whiter than white"
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

    "civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

    "The Dude abides" - the Dude

  6. #26
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Not sure about the technology, but it sounds like the claims of being "whiter than white"
    Difference is, this actually delivers. Impressive results with MF lenses via adapters with these and M4/3 cameras. Seems to be driving up the price of old fast primes, too.

  7. #27
    Rol_Lei Nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hamburg
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Difference is, this actually delivers. Impressive results with MF lenses via adapters with these and M4/3 cameras. Seems to be driving up the price of old fast primes, too.
    I realize that this is getting seriously OT, but...

    While I can't speak for the Sony cameras, I do (also) extensively use a M4/3, with the primes I've had for years/decades.

    First, the existing M4/3 cameras use a different and more accurate (albeit somewhat slower) AF method than the vast majority of (D)SLRs. In fact, in the test I previously mentioned, a M4/3 camera had the most accurate focusing results of all the cameras tested.

    That said, manual focusing on my M4/3 viewfinder (not rear LCD) doesn't even come close to manual focusing with a *good* optical viewfinder/screen combination. Better than expected, yes, but the majority of my film cameras will reliably focus more accurately.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

  8. #28
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    I realize that this is getting seriously OT, but...

    While I can't speak for the Sony cameras, I do (also) extensively use a M4/3, with the primes I've had for years/decades.

    First, the existing M4/3 cameras use a different and more accurate (albeit somewhat slower) AF method than the vast majority of (D)SLRs. In fact, in the test I previously mentioned, a M4/3 camera had the most accurate focusing results of all the cameras tested.

    That said, manual focusing on my M4/3 viewfinder (not rear LCD) doesn't even come close to manual focusing with a *good* optical viewfinder/screen combination. Better than expected, yes, but the majority of my film cameras will reliably focus more accurately.
    So stick with them. Manual focus optics will make up the long tail of film equipment, not the bodies. OLED finders will probably be common in a few years on most DSLRs if Sony's new A77 is any indication. These combined with colored focus peaking displays might be what ends the discussion regarding focus accuracy with manual lenses.

  9. #29
    jp498's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Owls Head ME
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,451
    Images
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    The ability of AF to deliver accurate focusing v MF is interesting. When sports photographers used analogue cameras, such as the F5, my impression was that nearly all the pics they took were in focus. If it was less than 50% then the photographers were wasting 50% of their films and presumably the hight burst rate of shooting that the F5 was capable of would not have helped.

    pentaxuser
    The pro nikons had an excellent and advanced focusing system that was basically transplanted into their pro digital bodies. However, much film is wasted shooting sports.

    Sports photographers who adopted AF efficiently were those who came from a manual focus background and were accustomed to techniques that were proven to get more infocus shots. I used to shoot sports mostly manual focus and started a little bit of AF with the f4s, but it wasn't up to the grade the F5 AF provides. You'd learn the sport and players well enough to predict when they'd be making a move and you'd be prefocused for that. For basketball, soccer, or football, follow a player instead of the action for a bit and they will follow relatively predictable patterns that you can focus easily. I.e. in basketball, a defender will be paired up against an opponent and after a turnover or two you can figure out who's ordered to be on who. For track, pre-focus where someone will be at their peak in a long jump or focus on a marker on the track they will be running past or for long distance relays, they use the same point of handoff.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    165
    I would get a 20-35mm f2.8D which replaces lots of primes. Also a 35-70mm f2.8

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin