Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,482   Online: 1093

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja B View Post
    . See this chart.

I know it is digital camera body but - my friend has D90 and he is using Pre Ai lenses on that body - and on this chart it says "NO!".
    Also they did not mention FM and FE that can use Pre Ai lenses...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Chan Tran, thanks for the explanation. Yes, I can see where your two suggestions would yield an exposure at the pre-set aperture but I think, and the overwhelming majority I feel would agree, that 'automatic' is an integral quality of an automatic exposure mode. Both of your suggestions seem a little lean on the 'auto' aspect. Little too much fumbling to be considered automatic in my book but respect your right to disagree.
    Just get a Nikkormat EL body for aperture priority with NAI lenses!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    DX lenses will work about as well as a square wheel...yeah, it'll go round but it won't be pretty so best to forget about any lenses designated as DX or G altogether. Most any lens with an aperture ring will work, which include the manual focus varieties of pre-AI, AI, AIS and E as well as autofocus lenses designated as AF, AF-D, AFS. There were also special AF lenses designed for the F3 but they're rare and not worth the mention. See this chart.

Pre-AI lenses require stop-down metering. Contrary to Chan Tran's statement ('...and it would be difficult to do aperture priority with pre AI lenses but possible') I cannot see how a pre-AI lens will permit aperture priority. Impossible, I believe, but am open to an explanantion. The exception would be shooting at a lens' maximum aperture and only the max aperture, but hard to consider such a limitation as ap priority.

Another point worth consideration is whether you would like subsequent lenses to meter and autofocus on your digital body. Tell us which DSLR you have for more pertinent info. In the meantime, as far as MF lenses go, I'd stick with AI and AIS as they are 100% compatible. If wanting AF glass, see my notes above.
    The Nikonians chart is a bit off. AFS-only DSLRs(e.g., D40, etc.) will take NAI lenses since there's no Ai tab. They won't, of course, auto-focus or meter but can still be used.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Just get a Nikkormat EL body for aperture priority with NAI lenses!
    You got the wrong person!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK.
    I seems that my D lenses are working fine.
    But I am curious about the Ai 50mm 1.4
    I will look for it.

Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin