Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,246   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Lenses for a Nikon F3

Hi everyone!!!

I just bought a Nikon F3 and I wonder if my DX and D lenses will work on the F3.
    If not which lenses would you recommend to bay?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    DX not good choice - D yes.
    Buy Ai manual lenses - they fit best (other will be ok also, but Ai are my favorite choice for F3).

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by marciofs View Post
    Hi everyone!!!

I just bought a Nikon F3 and I wonder if my DX and D lenses will work on the F3.
    If not which lenses would you recommend to bay?
    DX is for APS-C DSLRs. D is FF AF technology.

Which lenses? What do you like for breakfast? Depends on what kind of shooting you like, right? A bit more info would save us some time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marciofs: If your Nikon-mount lenses have aperture rings, they will probably work on your F3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    Marciofs: If your Nikon-mount lenses have aperture rings, they will probably work on your F3.
    Unless they are pre-Ai lenses, in which case they probably won't.

Shooter
    35mm
    Pre AI lenses will work fine on the F3 but metering must be in stop down mode and it would be difficult to do aperture priority with pre AI lenses but possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is why Ai is best fit for F3...

Pre Ai will work but you need to stop down to meter
    AF-(D) will work but focusing is not so smooth like with manual lenses
    DX and AF-G will also work but on only one f stop and not with full coverage of the 35mm frame for DX

Shooter
    35mm
    DX lenses will work about as well as a square wheel...yeah, it'll go round but it won't be pretty so best to forget about any lenses designated as DX or G altogether. Most any lens with an aperture ring will work, which include the manual focus varieties of pre-AI, AI, AIS and E as well as autofocus lenses designated as AF, AF-D, AFS. There were also special AF lenses designed for the F3 but they're rare and not worth the mention. See this chart.

Pre-AI lenses require stop-down metering. Contrary to Chan Tran's statement ('...and it would be difficult to do aperture priority with pre AI lenses but possible') I cannot see how a pre-AI lens will permit aperture priority. Impossible, I believe, but am open to an explanantion. The exception would be shooting at a lens' maximum aperture and only the max aperture, but hard to consider such a limitation as ap priority.

Another point worth consideration is whether you would like subsequent lenses to meter and autofocus on your digital body. Tell us which DSLR you have for more pertinent info. In the meantime, as far as MF lenses go, I'd stick with AI and AIS as they are 100% compatible. If wanting AF glass, see my notes above.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Aja B.
    There are a couple of way you can use the F3 on A with pre AI lens.
    1. Method #1. Holding the DOF preview button and press the shutter release. This is easy said but require to be a contortionist to do it. This may not worth the effort as it could be harder than simply using the camera in manual.
    2. Method #2. Take an example, if you have the 50mm f/1.4 pre AI lens mounted and you want to use f/5.6. Set the lens at f/5.6 and then set the ISO dial 4 stop slower than the film you are using. Everytime you select a different f stop you will have to change the amount of compensation. Not convenient but workable if you tend not to change the f stop often.

Shooter
    35mm
    Chan Tran, thanks for the explanation. Yes, I can see where your two suggestions would yield an exposure at the pre-set aperture but I think, and the overwhelming majority I feel would agree, that 'automatic' is an integral quality of an automatic exposure mode. Both of your suggestions seem a little lean on the 'auto' aspect. Little too much fumbling to be considered automatic in my book but respect your right to disagree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin