Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,050   Online: 951

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a few cases of expired Fuji color a few years ago. I gave away a bunch of it, both locally and through here, and I've used it otherwise for testing cameras and knocking around.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    jnanian can you point me to a few examples of photographs shot with expired film on your website

Thanks Dominik
    hi dominik

if you go to jnanian.imagekind.com or nanianphoto.com
    about 60-70% of the images in the galleries
    were all done with expired film, both color and black / white.

it would be easier to list the ones that weren't because
    they are the minority, but still it would be a lot of typing ...
    i'm not trying to be elusive, or misleading, but i just don't want
    to type ... and type ... and type ...

- john
    Last edited by jnanian; 12-06-2011 at 01:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sell it on APUG.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Sell it to a Pug...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What would I do with a boatload of film?

If it was bulk, I would dust off my 250 film back and crank up my motor drive.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    35mm RF
    From 10-year old Fujicolor Press 800 for Professionals:

Daylight shot "correctly" exposed.....no post processing

Night shot SOOC....no post processing

From this experience I'd suggest taking one roll and shooting in daylight and at night to determine the effect of fogging...night shots didn't seem too badly affected by it...(I've got 30 36-exp rolls to play with...)
    Last edited by kitanikon; 12-05-2011 at 11:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got close to 100 rolls of expired B&W film right now. I've shot most of the FP4 (expired mid-80s) I had and if exposed around EI 64 it turned out pretty good. I had some Verichrome Pan that was completely fogged and some Pan F that came out clear. I'm working through a bunch of Tmax 100 and 400 (expired mid-90s) and a bunch of 120 Plus-X (expired late 80's) right now. If you've got a lot of it you can shoot a couple rolls and figure out what kind of condition its in and get pretty reliable results, otherwise do some experimenting you would otherwise not do if you had paid good money for the film (assuming you got it for free).

If you don't want to take a chance it looks like there are plenty of us that would gladly use it

Adam

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Shoot the Tri-X at 64 or 80 and expect fog. Shoot the Panatomic-X at 32 and expect good as new.
    That's what my recent results have been.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm kind of in the same boat, have a large usps mailing box full of expired rolls.. I know about half of it spent its life in a freezer, the rest who knows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thedancefloor View Post
    I bought a box of expired film recently. In it were approx. 200 rolls of 35mm film that included 40 rolls of Tri-x from 1984ish (lots of fog), 40 rolls of Ektachrome from 1984ish and 40 rolls of HP5 from the 90s. And a whole bunch of consumer kodak and fuji films. But there were some really awesome films too that I will keep and use. Those were original Ektar, all sorts of Ektapress, some high speed konica stuff and some panatomic-x.

I would use it all, but I don't like surprises. I've been giving it away to other photogs, and they've been pretty happy about it. What would you do with a huge box wildcards?

I would use it. Learn how the Tri-X works, and then shoot all of it.... Start with the oldest. Stick the rest in the freezer.

Often you can print right through the fog and make some pretty fabulous prints from it. In my early days of photography I had to bargain-hunt a lot, because I couldn't afford to buy new film. I'm just as happy printing those negs as I am newer ones.

Whatever you do, don't let it go to waste.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin