Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,852   Online: 996

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    When crunch time comes and I need reliable 35mm I resort to my fleet of Nikon Fs, they are the superbest, and for wide angle work the very old 2.1cm Nikkor is delightful

However, my fondest memory of a 35mm camera is my old 6c, from when I used a fleet of Alpas

Attachment 47985

But apart from the intelligent lever wind, which meant if you kept you eye to the viewfinder while winding film you didn't end up with your right eye hanging off your thumbnail, the Nikon is far better - But fond memories are fond memories

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails alpa6c.jpg  

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Just a small arrangement:

The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MacReady View Post
    They don't need to last fifty years, they will be redundant in < ten
    You overlook the "attachment" factor. The Nikon F will NEVER be redundant.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by philosomatographer View Post
    Ugh, I could never use a camera that litters the viewfinder display with such ugly, useless eye candy. Data overlays can be cool, but not this kind of data overlay... It's amazing how much we lost, when we lost physical, single-purpose controls (in consumer cameras). This has caused manufacturers to feel the need to litter viewfinders with all these icons.
    That is ridiculous but in all fairness you typically can push a button and have it set for all or most of the extraneous crap not show up on the viewfinder or back screen.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    Just a small arrangement:

Good morning, CMO;

An interesting "arrangement." The Nikon F and the Photomic FTN are still here and working, and Plus-X is still available, but FX-135 Panatomic-X has been long gone, and Microdol-X is no longer available also. Some nice memories.

I had started to use X-TOL as a replacement for Microdol-X, and now it is gone also. At least there are some workable substitutes from one of the APUG commercial sponsors, FreeStyle, and I am looking into other black and white films from European makers. I was an exclusively EKCo film and chemical user for 50 years, and now that is changing. At least my older Minolta and Nikon cameras are still here.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    I had started to use X-TOL as a replacement for Microdol-X, and now it is gone also.
    Kodak XTOL is current and available. Just used some and ordering some more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fomadon Excel should be the same as X-Tol.

I haven't made careful comparisons between the results, but the same developing times with various films yielded the correct density.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Javins View Post
    The Nikon F and the Photomic FTN are still here and working, and Plus-X is still available, but FX-135 Panatomic-X has been long gone, and Microdol-X is no longer available also. Some nice memories.

I had started to use X-TOL as a replacement for Microdol-X, and now it is gone also. At least there are some workable substitutes from one of the APUG commercial sponsors, FreeStyle, and I am looking into other black and white films from European makers. I was an exclusively EKCo film and chemical user for 50 years, and now that is changing. At least my older Minolta and Nikon cameras are still here.
    If you look at the "develop before" dates on the two film boxes in the photo you will see that one of the films had expired before the camera was built :-)

The good thing about a Nikon F (or Nikkor F) is that you can do one thing that you can't do with a digital camera: change the sensor. If I compare the results from a 1960s 50 ASA film developed in Microdol-X with the results from a Tmax 400 in XTol the Tmax wins hands down. In "IT speak": same hardware, better software.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    Fomadon Excel should be the same as X-Tol.

I haven't made careful comparisons between the results, but the same developing times with various films yielded the correct density.
    Other alternatives if you want to brew your own:

http://www.jackspcs.com/mytol.htm

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum223/...ant-mytol.html

And here is the perfect mouse to be used with these recipes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weedhead scale.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	290.9 KB 
ID:	48578

That is probably from the "weedhead series"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Wel, going all-out 1950s technology, I tried some Adox CHS Art 100 (Efke 100, really) in the Nikon F. It's the first time I tried this film. Quality control is definitely a bit spotty, but it's otherwise quite a luscious film, very rich and contrasty, and interesting with the crystal-clear film base - which I have never seen before. This was really more of a test roll to experiment with the development etc, but I am very pleased with the abilities of this combination.

(Nikon F, Nikkor-P 10.5cm f/2.5, Adox CHS Art 100 [Efke 100])

(Nikon F, Nikkor-H.C 50mm f/2.0, Adox CHS Art 100 [Efke 100])

(Nikon F, Nikkor-H.C 50mm f/2.0, Adox CHS Art 100 [Efke 100])

The pre-AI nikkors continue to impress with their peerless build quality and smooth focusing. The 50/2 is very interesting - it can produce some of the smoothest background blur I have seen in the mid-tones and dark areas, but out of focus highlights are just awful. Interesting combination.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin