Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,976   Online: 742

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by philosomatographer View Post
    This recent print from the silver-nosed Nikkor-P 105/2.5 - I can't get enough of this lens, and how nice it is to use on the F
    I have only put one roll of film through my Nikon F and Nikkor 105mm f2.5 but it's enough for me to agree with you on how nice it is.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

28/2.8 AIS deceptively nice

Hi All,

This past week-end I found (in a local shop, which does not often Happen in South Africa...) a mint Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AIS for about $100. Not having had any wide-angle lens for this camera, I thought "why not?". I exposed a test roll of Ilford Pan F in the Nikon F (see, the two were made for each other :-) and I am so pleasantly surprised by the character of this wonderful lens. These are some examples:

As somebody who uses shallow depth of field as an important part of his style, it immediately struck my how neutral and pleasing the out-of-focus rendition is - the lens appears to be perfectly corrected (no over- or under-correction causing harsh outlines to OOF artifacts). I think I've found the only wide-angle I need on my F.

Unfortunately it's not in the same classic all-metal style with the scalloped focus rings like my other two lenses (50/2.0, 105/2.5) but for the superb performance of this little gem, one can make exceptions, eh? The build quality and focus smoothness is unbelievable for a lens incorporating a floating element - the lightest touch from one finger can focus it, yet it won't drift on its own. Remarkable mechanical engineering.

Who would have thought that something as boring as a 28mm f/2.8 could be so exciting on a Nikon F? Best $100 I ever spent, and the two "F"s - Pan F, Nikon F, are a match made in heaven.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    From the same roll of Pan F as above, I do continue to absolutely love the first-generation 50mm f/2.0:

Wide open, the character is very old school - flare problems and nervous out-of-focus highlights. I adore the overall tonal rendition and "look" - and this particular lens, above all, is the best-built, smoothest-focusing 50mm I have yet used. A real lifetime-user's lens.

And the first-generation 105mm f/2.5:

I'm using this camera lot more now as it's my only current serious 35mm body (I sold my Olympus OM kit, and my Leica M3 is in for repair - my own fault).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Last Dec I said I'd be getting an F back in my life

....and I got one yesterday...from 1973 with a working Photomic FTn, and gold instruction booklets for the F and the meter and a couple of other small Nikon brochures (one with the price marked...$375)

...It had a date sticker in the film bay from 1991, suggesting refurbishing had been done....it works as if it had been refurbished and not used since......it certainly looked "new".....with new leather, lugs and not a dent in sight...I never had a Photomic head on an F before so decided to take this one home...

When I got home I went into my saved parts drawer for my dented and battered but clean plain prism and it fits and works perfectly...
    ...though it looks sad on such a nice looking body...it looked more at home on my old and long since gone beaters...oh well....I put in my old "E" screen and it looks like old times...

It came with a Lentar 200/3.5 and the Nikkor 50/1.4-S (5 screw version), along with a couple of Gossen meters (Pilot2 and Bisix2) and a set of 3 Hoya closeup filters....after selling these off to a good home I'll have this very nice F for a very reasonable cost of under $100...(I will have to decide which to keep, this "S" or my AIS version...I don't need another 50...)

The F will be fun to work with again...it certainly looks at home on my shelf next to the FE2 and FM...(though I'm not so sure about the AF Nikons lying around here)...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not sure why you're so surprised that the Nikon is capable of excellent results. By the time it was launched 35mm technology was already quite mature. The mechanical side of things with regard to film plane tolerances, etc, had been worked out and established. Prime lens technology didn't really advance much between the '60s and the '70s when the Zuikos came out. Zoom lens technology was beginning to improve quite a bit though.

I've used both Zuikos and Nikkors and have never noticed what you've seen. Magazine tests over the years haven't really supported your contention either. If you took Leica and Zeiss out of the equation, Nikkors usually tested as amongst the best but some Zuikos were superior and most were a good match.
    The Online Darkroom
    www.theonlinedarkroom.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    By that token, both (Minolta SR-2 '58, Nikon F '59) were playing catch up to the Asahi Pentax ('57). But when the Nikon came out they had to play catch up to its fully automatic diaphragm. And the Nikon of course had the interchangeable pentaprism (and MLU) neither had.

Given the time it took to develop those machines and the closeness of their release, I see it as more a case of almost concurrent development than playing catch up.
    I just want to point out that both Praktica and Edixa were already using internally operated automatic diaphragms in 1956, and the Praktina had introduced an internally operated semi-auto diaphragm in 1954. When Pentax finallygot around to installing an aperture plunger in their cameras they still went with the old fashioned semi-auto cock-to-open system for their lenses... In Pentax's case it couldn't be anything other than a game of catchup since they had to engineer their system to be compatible with the German company's M42 mount. /history tangent

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ordered a "B" screen off Ebay to put in my new F....can't wait...(my 40+yr old "E" screen had some fungus...)...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kitanikon View Post
    (my 40+yr old "E" screen had some fungus...)...
    Hey, you can separate it and clean it.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Good to know dude....thanks...I will have to look at cleaning up the few screens I have here...(incl. the original As that came with the bodies)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Put in something like "clean nikon screen" in the search box at top right of this page and you will see a couple of threads on how to do it.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin