Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,334   Online: 848

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718192021 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    If I'm not mistaken, the legendary Nikon 105 f/2.5 lens was designed in 1959. And, it still rivals today's lenses in IQ.

Shooter
    Multi Format

My memories of the Nikon F

I never owned a Nikon F but that camera was instrumental in me getting into 35mm photography. While coming back to Hawaii on a Navy destroyer, I got talking with a guy that was always taking pictures with his 'F'. I shot all the western pacific with a 110 pocket camera and I remember asking him why would anyone want a camera that you had to set all those numbers just to take a picture. He said that he could set it for a few settings and get a better picture than I could with my 110. I then bought a Yashica 35mm but had some problems with my flash not working right so looked into a school for camera repair. After I got out of the Navy I went to National Camera repair school in Colorado and one of the cameras I had to do a CLA on was the Nikon F. I always remembered that the guy on the ship that had the Nikon F was telling me that the numbers were not all that hard and here I was taking one apart. I used a few different cameras until in 1985 I bought a Minolta X-700. I still use that and my RB67 but a few months ago I picked up a Nikon because I want to do stock photography and sorry to say guys, I had to get a digital. The Nikon F is heavy because it is built like a tank and the shutter is a metal focal plane. I suspect they will last for two hundred years. And then will need to be repaired and last another 200. Ric.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It makes me wonder how much the Nikon F would cost new today, and how many of todays wonder cameras will still be working the majority of them without being repaired in fifty years time.
    Wikipedia says the Nikon F was originally priced at US$186 with 50mm f/2 lens; in 1964 the US price was $323 with a standard prism and f/2 lens.
    I just bought a really nice condition Beseler Topcon Super D with 58mm f/1.4 for the grand sum of $25 in a thrift store. This, after a lifetime of teen lust for the unobtainable. And it is a fully functioning camera almost 50 years later, the shutter, the self timer, the meter!

New, the Beseler Topcon Super D was $420, and like the Nikon F it was top of the line. Hard to directly compare since the Nikon F was meterless unless you sprung for the Photomic T finder which was $110 in 1965, whereas the Topcon Super D had the world's first TTL meter, and it was built into the body at that price...you did not lose TTL metering if you used a waist level finder like you would with the Nikon F.

In 1965 gas was about $0.31 per gallon in the USA; so the Nikon F Photomic T was 1397 gallons of gas; the Topcon Super D was 1355 gallons of gas. Using $4.00 as today's price for gas, the Nikon F Photomic T and Topcon Super D would equate to $5500 cameras. And then you had to buy film, the costs of processing, and printing.
    Last edited by wiltw; 09-21-2012 at 11:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    Wikipedia says the Nikon F was originally priced at US$186 with 50mm f/2 lens;
    Modern Photography, September 1959 ad -> Nikon F + f2 lens for $329.50

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the legendary Nikon 105 f/2.5 lens was designed in 1959. And, it still rivals today's lenses in IQ.
    Actually, pre WWII. It's a recalculation of prewar Zeiss Sonnar designs. And yes, it's one of the all time great lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Actually, pre WWII. It's a recalculation of prewar Zeiss Sonnar designs. And yes, it's one of the all time great lenses.
    erm Why was it discontinued?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur2 View Post
    erm Why was it discontinued?
    It was replaced with a Gauss type in the same focal length and barrel in the 70s, the Gauss (symmetrical) design has slightly sharper close-focus performance. Just what you want for a portrait lens....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    It was replaced with a Gauss type in the same focal length and barrel in the 70s, the Gauss (symmetrical) design has slightly sharper close-focus performance. Just what you want for a portrait lens....
    Sounds logical I bet "not a lot of people know that"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur2 View Post
    Sounds logical I bet "not a lot of people know that"
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...dels/index.htm

There's some good info here about Nikons in general. The OCD part of me wants one of the Gauss versions, to compare with my original Sonnar clone.
    I suppose I could buy one, check it out, then resell it. Not like they're expensive or anything.......

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin