Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,699   Online: 1209

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101415161718192021 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    I have read on the internet (so it must be true) that Nikon was a little surprised that the Sonnar 105 was becoming popular as a portrait lens and not just a short tele. Perhaps they expected the 85 f/2 to keep that crown. So they improved the 105's near range performance with the Gauss design. The fact that they extracted still more resolution in general use is just the icing on the cake. I've shot both side by side using Tech Pan and the Gauss is a tiny bit sharper (although this might have been just visual due to an increase in contrast) but it took a 32x enlargement to see it and then only barely, in the wings of a distant bird over Long's Peak. I'll print up the neg and post a couple images.

s-a
    That's pretty much the same reason I read of.
    I'll be interested in the images!
    ...maybe I'll get a Gauss version too.......

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    That's pretty much the same reason I read of.
    I'll be interested in the images!
    ...maybe I'll get a Gauss version too.......
    I found those negatives, the 36th roll I shot in 1991, but they're not holding up very well; lots of scratches and dark specks, maybe mold or silver from unflushed silver halides. Alas. I'd never find that hawk in this so I just printed a 5x7 at around 32x and scanned it. It's de-lammed in places from the microwave quick-dry.

At 1.4MB I think it will download quick enough. Specs, as I recall:
    Location: Chasm Lake at the foot of Longs Peak's east face. Maybe 10,000 feet. Longs is 14k, the ridge is maybe 13+. 6 AM
    Nikon F, mirror locked up, tripod weighted.
    105mm f/2.5 silver-nose Sonnar, f/8.
    Red 25 filter.
    Kodak Tech Pan developed in something. I think it's by the guy who made "Perfection", some kind of POTA or Windisch-based formula.
    Sprocket hole included for scale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails longs_edit2.jpg  
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So 32x is about 32" x 48". And that size print would properly be viewed at say 6 to 10 feet, at which distance it would look fabulous. God I miss TechPan.

I took a slide in 1998, on the Rhine river of the Marksburg castle at a distance of a bit more than a mile. Handheld at 1/500 and whatever f stop worked that day - say f:5.6 to f:8 - with 100 speed Agfachrome, the weathervane atop one of the towers is clearly reproduced (although the film is losing it) and you can read the wind's direction. This with a silver-nose Sonnar 105 made about 1968, with some light coating marks on the front. I miss Agfachrome too.

Thanks for printing that and posting it.

Shooter
    35mm
    So 32x is about 32" x 48". And that size print would properly be viewed at say 6 to 10 feet, at which distance it would look fabulous. God I miss TechPan.

I took a slide in 1998, on the Rhine river of the Marksburg castle at a distance of a bit more than a mile. Handheld at 1/500 and whatever f stop worked that day - say f:5.6 to f:8 - with 100 speed Agfachrome, the weathervane atop one of the towers is clearly reproduced (although the film is losing it) and you can read the wind's direction. This with a silver-nose Sonnar 105 made about 1968, with some light coating marks on the front. I miss Agfachrome too.

Thanks for printing that and posting it.
    You're quite welcome. The print focus might still be a bit off; I can't use a grain magnifier on the floor and turn the focusing knob on a 23CII at full extension at the same time. Plus, I think 32x is outside of an EL-Nikkor's range of best performance. It is also interesting to see how the print looks so much better than the digital scan. Film is truly a remarkable invention; I'm grateful to have picked it up at its zenith, hoping for a very long autumn. No telling how good digital will be when it's 130 years old!

You might look into Spur developer and a film Rollie markets, it might be Tech pan-ish. Google "Erwin Puts" and Leica. He has a piece on it. Freestyle sells it. I think CMS-20 is gone now.

s-a
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    35mm
    From Puts's blog:
    Their newest addition to the range is Nano Edge, specifically designed to improve definition of the Orthopan UR emulsion.
    A companion product is Nano Grain, that is an improvement on Adotech. This test focuses on the Nano Edge developer.

But because DT mentions Spur developer you probably found the right one. Back-check via Freestyle, I'm sure I saw it there. Probably going to buy some, actually. (Buying, after I just bought a crapload of Eastman 5222...)

Got the Tech Pan juices flowing, do you?

s-a
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    So long after starting this thread, the Nikon F was not a gear-acquisition fad. This camera is an eternal masterpiece, and the first-generation optics are a joy to work with. I just developed these:

Pondering the light

(Nikkor-H.C 50mm at f/2.0)

Tuk-tuk driver

(Sonnar-type Nikkor-P 105mm at f/2.5)

Guarding the poshness

(Nikkor-H.C 50mm at f/5.6)

It's funny - over on the rangefinder forum, somebody asked the question - if you could use only one camera, one lens, one film - what would it be? More people nominated the Nikon F than any other single camera. I'm a bit surprised - I would be torn between this any my Leica M3 + 50mm Heliar, but it's a close call nevertheless. The Nikon F represents an era in mechanical design that will never return.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I 've owned several Nikon F's and F2's in the past and they are excellent cameras, but I.M.O. although they came late to the pro sytem camera party Canon's F1's system got it even more right, the Canon New F1 was I.M.O.the ultimate manual focus pro system S.L.R.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 04-11-2013 at 02:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I 've owned several Nikon F's and F2's in the past and they are excellent cameras, but I.M.O. although they came late to the pro sytem camera party Canon's F1's system got it even more right, the Canon New F1 was I.M.O.the ultimate manual focus pro system S.L.R.
    Actually, Canon released a pro system body for each of Nikon's releases.
    Nikon F (1959) - Canon Flex (1959)
    Nikon F2 (1971) - Canon F-1 (1971)
    Nikon F3 (1980) - Canon New F-1 (1981)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Actually, Canon released a pro system body for each of Nikon's releases.
    Nikon F (1959) - Canon Flex (1959)
    Nikon F2 (1971) - Canon F-1 (1971)
    Nikon F3 (1980) - Canon New F-1 (1981)
    That's true Les, but the the F1 in 1971 was Canon's first truly professional grade SLR whereas the Nikon F came out in 1959 and I doubt if the Canonflex was ever considered a truly professional model at the time because there was no motor drive facility , I never liked the Nikon F3 the Canon New F1 is I.M.O. a much better camera.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 04-12-2013 at 09:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin