Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,025   Online: 698

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    127 Format
    Although I prefer the 1.4 for it's look, the 1.8 is a great lens. Get a 1.8 and save the money towards an 85/2.0 !!
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I opted for the 50/1.8. It is a really nice lens, tho I haven't tried the 1.4 versions (I most likely will not get it). I am pretty happy with the results from it. Sharpness, rendering of the OOF areas and color rendition is just right for me. This is a shot from the 50/1.8 wide open ( mine is not the MiJ version).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003_34.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	42715

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by adam211 View Post
    After seeing a friend's medium format pictures I've decided get a film camera or two (the second being potentially a Minolta Autocord). I have an old digital rebel so it would make the most sense if I stuck with Canon and got an older film rebel or, perhaps, purchased an Elan 7e liked I used to own (and loved). So of course I've decided on an Olymus OM-1 or -2. I made the leap mostly because I found out about the OM-1 and OM-2 and couldn't resist. It's a beautiful camera, and nice and small.

So, my decision. The easy part is color. Chrome, of course, it's too classic not to get it, although the black almost does tempt me. Perhaps in the future I could get a black OM-4 if I end up loving the OM-1 or OM-2. But the -4 is too expensive right now and I don't need it.

But the hard part is whether I should get the OM-1(n) or OM-2(n).

Also, I'm probably going to be getting one on keh. I think I understand the following as displayed on keh:
    OM-1 MD: Later version that has motor drive. I don't need. Plus I'd get the N anyway I think...
    OM-1 Engraved: Has engraving on lens mount? I don't see why one would care... if anyone has any insight that'd be great.
    OM-1 1.5 Volt: has had conversion to battery. Doesn't matter to me too much.
    Without shoe: doesn't have flash shoe. Doesn't matter, I never shoot flash.

But first I need to decide whether to get the OM-1n or the OM-2n. I've done my homework. Here's what I know.

OM-1n: Has the appeal of a beautiful mechanical machine. This really seems to be the only advantage. At first I thought I didn't care, but then I started thinking about it more and realized that this is a great appeal. Part of the reason I like the OM at all is its simplicity and its mechanical beauty. Now, practically speaking, I would likely never or rarely use the camera without a battery, so it's really just more the mechanical appeal. Also, it seems through most of my searches that most people that own multiple OM-cameras say that if they had to keep one it would be the OM-1. Through my searches it looks like the OM-1n is preferred to the OM-1 because it has some minor updates, including better foam around the prism?

OM-2n: I think this camera only has three advantages to the OM-1n for me. First is its aperture-priority mode. Second is its display in this mode of the shutter speed. I feel that with this feature it would have all, or most of, the modern features and convenience I care about. It seems these advantages would allow one to take pictures continually taking the camera of one's eye. It seems with the OM-1n that to take a picture I would have to put the camera to set the F-stop, put the camera to my eye and focus and adjust the shutter speed, then pull the camera away and check to make sure the shutter speed is high enough and potentially repeat this process. Maybe that's not annoying, maybe it is. Maybe the only way to find out if that annoys me is to get the OM-1n. Third, and I'm not sure if this is true or not, is that its meter seems to be much better and potentially more reliable. I don't want to have the old CdS meter on the OM-1 break after a couple of years and never work again. I think that if this third bit wasn't true, I'd swing for the OM-1n. If it is true, I have a harder time choosing, especially since I probably won't be in a situation very often if at all where I don't have a battery, or at least I'm willing to risk that.

It's important to note that the following differences are of no concern to me: mirror lock-up, flash capabilities, motor drive capabilities, battery problems.

Thanks in advance!
    Get 2 of each. The Om-1 I used also in Laparoscopies. The OM-2n is good for his Obturator going to 15 or 30 secs.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm

Lots still "into" film

Quote Originally Posted by adam211 View Post
    Thanks for the comments all! Very helpful. Just discovered this place. It surprised me so many people are still into film. I also appreciate all your thoughts.

I'm not really new to photography, or even to film photography. I shot film for about a year or two on an Elan 7e in high school before I got a great deal on a Digital Rebel (original) which was relatively new back then. I hadn't intended on coming back to film but I realized there's a sort of pleasure in holding and working something so mechanical. Something about having more involvement in the negative and more of a simple understanding of what's happening as I press the shutter button. I'm not giving up digital photography, no way, but I'm excited to complement my DSLR (yup, still the original digital rebel).

Which is why I think I've decided on an OM-1n. I could probably still be convinced otherwise but I need to decide one or the other and something is pulling me in the direction of the OM-1n. Main thing is--will lack of aperture priority bother me? I'm betting first that it won't bother me and that I'll enjoy the mechanical interaction with my camera. It was also helpful to see that one could get used to and feel the position of the shutter ring to know if the shutter speed is too slow. And if it does bother me, then it can't be hard to get an OM-2n instead. I'm especially looking forward to the viewfinder as I think it's supposed to be an upgrade from my digital rebel. So I think Bill (nsurit) is actually going to set me up!

After having a 50mm f/1.8 on my digital rebel I realized that I love, love the 80mm equivalent focal length, but will have to settle for the 100mm f/2.8 in the future. I was pretty sure I wanted to start things off simple with a 50mm f/1.4. Would I be better served by a f/1.8? It looks like there are so many varying opinions on which one is sharper, which one sits nicer on the camera. Some claim the f/1.4 is easier to hold on the camera, others like the compactness and reduced weight of the f/1.8 (Made in Japan). Looking through the forums many people have both and mostly use the f/1.8, or many people have both and mostly use the f/1.4. Guess I'm going to hear the same opinions by asking this, but I was wondering if anyone wanted to recommend one or the other in particular.
    If you are surprised at the number of film users, have a look at the SLR page on rangefinderforum.com and check out the OMoholics pages, I think they are up yo 72 pages now, it's been going for years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OM-1n to start with.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4935.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	791.7 KB 
ID:	42731
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used Oly stuff when it was new, as companions to my Leicas, and there was one thing that always irritated me: the lack of anything to hold on to on the right hand's side. It's really small over there, compared to every other camera, and I always had a problem with that. Somewhere along the line I picked up an OM2n-SP, and in addition to being a really wonderful camera, it had an accessory lump grip you could screw on that side, the smaller version of what all modern cameras have, that really was a help in holding the d!@#ed camera. If the straight OM2n had that, that would decide things for me. Otherwise, if I were looking now, I'd find an SP with the grip. It really makes a difference. After that camera, I bought a winder for my remaining OM1 just to have the grip.

I know the SP has collected a lot of demerits for internal complexity, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One (maybe the only) thing I don't like with my OM-1 is that is hasn't got any display for showing the shutterspeed in the viewfinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    I used Oly stuff when it was new, as companions to my Leicas, and there was one thing that always irritated me: the lack of anything to hold on to on the right hand's side. It's really small over there, compared to every other camera, and I always had a problem with that. Somewhere along the line I picked up an OM2n-SP, and in addition to being a really wonderful camera, it had an accessory lump grip you could screw on that side, the smaller version of what all modern cameras have, that really was a help in holding the d!@#ed camera. If the straight OM2n had that, that would decide things for me. Otherwise, if I were looking now, I'd find an SP with the grip. It really makes a difference. After that camera, I bought a winder for my remaining OM1 just to have the grip.

I know the SP has collected a lot of demerits for internal complexity, though.

I put one of those "grip adapters" on my OM-4, and it helps. I have since put winder-2's on all my OM's, no more problems with them feeling small. Naturally, if you hold one properly you don't have that, as you are supposed to rest the body in the palm of the left hand and gripping the lens, whilst the right is for shutter release and film advance, not a death grip..
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In anticipation of my OM-1n I went to Goodwill to see if I could find any good buys.

I found an Olympus MC 50mm f/1.8 marked "JAPAN" on the front. Only problem is on the element closest to the lens mount there's a hairline crack. Will this affect pictures? Picked up for $5.99. Still has the inspection sticker on it.

Also found an Olympus 35mm f/2.8 (also marked JAPAN if that matters). This one looks flawless. Not a dent or scratch on the thing. $3.99.

Also found a Vivitar 28mm f/2.0. Glass is good, though metal on mount is scratched. Rest looks excellent. I don't even know if this was OM mount. Front says vivitar and focal length and "AUTO WIDE-ANGLE". Near mount it says O/OM on barrel. Is this an OM lens? $6.99. Worth the price?

Pretty happy with the 35mm, not sure if I did well on the other two. Did I waste my money? They had some others that looked cheap for other systems but these were the ones that looked the best quality.
    Last edited by adam211; 12-08-2011 at 06:12 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Oops, Vivitar is 28mm, I mistyped 25

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those are not a waste of money. you got nice lenses for such a small amount of money.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin