Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,652   Online: 985
      
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 44
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Montgomery, Il/USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,055
    So for ~$10 you have two wide angle lenses for the Camera you don't have yet. =). Yes the marking on the Vivitar means Olympus mount. I had an OM1 when they first came out and didn't care for the SS around the lens mount. Didn't like Nikkormats either, same configuration.
    Depending on the size of your hands any OM may be too small to hold comfortably, then the winder comes in handy, even if you don't want one.
    These critters are much smaller than the Canon you had.
    The crack in the 1.8 will likely have no visible effect. You're going to need to shoot it to find out.

    BTW OM1n would be my choice if I went that way.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia area
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    302
    Images
    10
    Go for the Zuiko 35mm if it is a f.l. you work with. It is a very good lens.

    Stay away from the Vivitar as it often has diaphragm issue.

    For the 50mm lens, it is easy to find a f/1.8 Zuiko for a song. I won't take any risk with a faulty lens.

    Back to cameras... The OM1 (whatever flavor) is a very good camera with all you can expect from a semi-auto camera. Get it checked by John Hermanson and you are good for 15 years.

  3. #33
    Rick A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    north central Pa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,880
    Images
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Back to cameras... The OM1 (whatever flavor) is a very good camera with all you can expect from a semi-auto camera. Get it checked by John Hermanson and you are good for 15 years.
    What do you mean by this statement? An OM-1 is never "semi auto" they are manual only with fully mechanical shutter, battery only powers a light meter. OM-2 has auto mode via aperture priority, with an electronically controlled shutter that requires electricity to power it, even in manual mode.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

  4. #34
    RH Designs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Yorkshire Dales, England
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    657
    Images
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by adam211 View Post
    I'm especially looking forward to the viewfinder as I think it's supposed to be an upgrade from my digital rebel.
    It'll be like the difference between a picture window and squinting through a keyhole.
    Regards,
    Richard.

    RH Designs - My Photography

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Dali View Post
    Go for the Zuiko 35mm if it is a f.l. you work with. It is a very good lens.

    Stay away from the Vivitar as it often has diaphragm issue.

    For the 50mm lens, it is easy to find a f/1.8 Zuiko for a song. I won't take any risk with a faulty lens.

    Back to cameras... The OM1 (whatever flavor) is a very good camera with all you can expect from a semi-auto camera. Get it checked by John Hermanson and you are good for 15 years.
    I had already bought all three. Turns out that the 50mm f/1.8 didn't have a scratch--it was just a hair that came right off. Glass is perfect. That's the good news. [edit: although the focus ring is a little stiff]

    You are right, however, about the Vivitar. On closer inspection the aperture blades aren't closing down. I'll either try taking it apart or passing it on to someone who wants to try fixing it.
    Last edited by adam211; 12-10-2011 at 12:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mission Viejo, California
    Shooter
    127 Format
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by adam211 View Post
    I had already bought all three. Turns out that the 50mm f/1.8 didn't have a scratch--it was just a hair that came right off. Glass is perfect. That's the good news.

    You are right, however, about the Vivitar. On closer inspection the aperture blades aren't closing down. I'll either try taking it apart or passing it on to someone who wants to try fixing it.
    That is common for Vivitar lenses for OM. They have a tiny spring that closes the aperture blades. When the mechanism gets sticky the spring stretches out and can't do it's job. I have a new-in-box Vivitar 24mm/2.8 that needs the same repair.
    - Bill Lynch

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    305
    Most OM-1/1N I've seen "converted" to 1.5v battery have the alkaline cell which is not good. Alkaline battery voltage starts to fall as soon as you use it, so any calibration you had is gone. I'd recommend either a 1N or a 2N. Both have ALL the factory improvements that were ever made to the original model. OM-2N circuit IC's are proprietary chips, they were made for Olympus by Sharp. You won't find them anywhere. I have new OM-2/2N circuits in stock, along with meter movements. The vast majority of the time, OM-2/2N lockup/shutter problems are NOT cause by a "bad" circuit board. You really have to know what to check to determine if a circuit has gone bad. I replaced one recently only because it was damaged by tampering. Just "prying up" the circuit cover can crack the board.

    OM-2/2N has an electronically controlled shutter. 2- 1.55V silver oxide batteries power an electromagnet that controls shutter speeds. It has a manual setting (match needle, you set aperture and shutter speed) and AUTO setting. On auto, you set aperture, camera sets shutter speed automatically based on how much light is reflected by the first shutter curtain/film after the mirror goes up). This is referred to as "OTF" Off The Film auto exposure. OM-1 battery is only for the meter movement. Shutter is completely mechanical, no auto setting.

    Also, I've seen some big camera dealers simply push new slot foam down over the old rotting foam without cleaning anything out. Buyer beware.

    John
    Last edited by John Hermanson; 12-10-2011 at 11:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia area
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    302
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    What do you mean by this statement? An OM-1 is never "semi auto" they are manual only with fully mechanical shutter, battery only powers a light meter. OM-2 has auto mode via aperture priority, with an electronically controlled shutter that requires electricity to power it, even in manual mode.

    To me semi-auto means that the meter is coupled with aperture and speed settings and that metering is done without stopping down (unlike most of M42 cameras for instance). This is how this type of cameras is defined in some countries.

    Regarding OM camera behavior, I am aware of it as I own OM cameras since 1983.

  9. #39
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,867
    I've never heard of this definition. In fact I've never heard of a "semi-auto" camera.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    529
    Images
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I've never heard of this definition. In fact I've never heard of a "semi-auto" camera.
    May be, definitions change over time. My Rolleiflex for instance has been considered automatic as it does find the beginning of the film fully automatic.

    Ulrich

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin