Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,685   Online: 897

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Did you check the mirror for excessive dirt and/or damage? Cleaning the screen is easy, corners and edges of the mirror not so much, so maybe the previous owner did a quick clean that didn't include the whole mirror.

edit: Oh, and that F3 doesn't look so worn out.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eurekaiv View Post
    Well, this might be a clue... my screen has no Nikon markings on it. Perhaps it's the wrong type for my camera or an inexpensive aftermarket piece?

Here's a couple pics for those that like pictures of beat to hell cameras. The prism is dented but I can't find fault with it when looking through it off the body. I really love the way it feels... a bit like an old friend. Not that I feel my old friends or anything.

Attachment 42675 Attachment 42676
    How's 'bout some pix of the screen? Any F/F2/F3 screen I have is marked "Nikon." Aftermarket piece? Beattie is the only one that comes to mind. But if the screen's in the same shape as the body...

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBodyOldSoul View Post
    Did you check the mirror for excessive dirt and/or damage? Cleaning the screen is easy, corners and edges of the mirror not so much, so maybe the previous owner did a quick clean that didn't include the whole mirror.

edit: Oh, and that F3 doesn't look so worn out.
    That mirror would have to be utterly encrusted to block that much light. Dust and smudges? Doubtful. Still wondering about mirror alignment issues and whether the viewfinder image is squared up.

Shooter
    35mm
    The mirror is clean as a whistle—that was one of the first things I did when I got home with it. I need to check the aperture lever though... that could be something. The lenses are a little tighter fit on this body too, I have to use some pressure to get them to lock in. Not crazy or anything but it's not the effortless twist and lock of my other two Nikon bodies.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, yeah, it would have to be very, very dirty, possibly scratched too. I've seen that amount of dirt before, it's not that hard to get it if you don't care for the body and toss it on the junk pile with mirror exposed. But that can't be the reason since OP mentions the mirror in his first post and he doesn't mention anything suspicious there. I somehow missed or forgot that part of his post until now.

Here's another wild guess. The lens - OP didn't say if he had checked the lens, right? Wild mushrooms. Haze.

edit: Just missed OP's post above.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The mirror is clean as a whistle—that was one of the first things I did when I got home with it. I need to check the aperture lever though... that could be something. The lenses are a little tighter fit on this body too, I have to use some pressure to get them to lock in. Not crazy or anything but it's not the effortless twist and lock of my other two Nikon bodies.
    Not the kindest thing to say but just maybe this old F3 is done for. Frankly, I thought the pix said it all. The bad lens mount is spooky. God know what the poor thing's been through. They're not that pricey in way better shape than this one. But try another lens before you junk it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used at least four lenses on it already—a 24, 105, 50 and 35—and all are pretty much the same story. I'll take a closer look this evening though. I really don't want it to be done for as I absolutely adore the way it looks and feels. It's like whoever held this thing every day for ten years had my hands and my grip becuase it fits like a glove.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used at least four lenses on it already—a 24, 105, 50 and 35—and all are pretty much the same story. I'll take a closer look this evening though. I really don't want it to be done for as I absolutely adore the way it looks and feels. It's like whoever held this thing every day for ten years had my hands and my grip becuase it fits like a glove.
    Yeah but would you feel that way if it was a car? Friends are into "beat is better" too with cameras. Not me. It's not prissiness but practicality that convinces me to get the newest, cleanest, lowest-mileage cameras I can afford. Old but NOS or little used will live longer trouble-free than old and nearly dead. I want to spend $ on film and prints, not repairs. Brassy just doesn't speak to me. Shelve this tchotchke and get a camera that works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not try a different finder?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Why not try a different finder?
    I don't have a different finder to try at this point and I really don't think that's what it is. I just checked the DOF preview button and it functions as it should and is opening up to max aperture without trouble. So I think I've narrowed it down to the screen and have already bought a new, proper Nikon one. Hopefully it will be here before the weekend and I can give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Yeah but would you feel that way if it was a car? Friends are into "beat is better" too with cameras. Not me. It's not prissiness but practicality that convinces me to get the newest, cleanest, lowest-mileage cameras I can afford. Old but NOS or little used will live longer trouble-free than old and nearly dead. I want to spend $ on film and prints, not repairs. Brassy just doesn't speak to me. Shelve this tchotchke and get a camera that works.
    This comparison is pretty far off base IMO. I don't trust my life with a camera that cost me roughly $50 in trade value. I like the way it feels, like the way it looks, and if it breaks, I have very little invested into it along with two other Nikon bodies (and far too many other cameras) that work just fine for me. I do really appreciate all the help though.
    Last edited by eurekaiv; 12-07-2011 at 08:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin