Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,632   Online: 932

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F3, dim viewfinder?

So I picked up what might be the worlds most heavily used, brassed up, worn to crap Nikon F3 at a camera meet in trade for a broken AE-1/50mm outfit. I absolutely ADORE the solid (and "broken in" feel ) of this body compared to my FE2 and FG but one thing is kinda annoying me, the viewfinder is incredibly dim by comparison and has what I would call a vignetted appearance. I'm wondering if this is something plaguing my specific finder/screen combo (an E type grid and standard prism) or is it just part of the TTL metering design? The mirror has that weird looking keyhole pattern that best I can tell from searching the google, allows the light to pass through the mirror and onto the meter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Every time I look through my F3 viewfinder I go OOOooooOOOOh. There is nothing dim there, that's for sure. Maybe your lens cap has got a big hole in it and you forgot to take it off?
    Seriously, take the screen out and see if it's dirty. Prism too.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a feeling... I've taken off the prism and it looks extremely bright and even if I point the bottom at a light and look through it. If I then hold the camera to my monitor and look through the screen like a TLR it looks more like what I see through the viewfinder. So maybe it's the type E (just looked it up to be sure) screen and it's meant to look this way? One thing that's unusual (to me) is that it's not flat like the type E screen in my FE2. It's actually convex on top—looks more like the front of a lens. Seeing as how it's giving the appearance of vignetting I though maybe that could have something to do with it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The doo-hingy that holds the apeture full open until you release the shutter might not be working.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_ON View Post
    The doo-hingy that holds the apeture full open until you release the shutter might not be working.
    If so, then wouldn't the aperture ring affect the light level in the view finder? I'm thinking seriously damaged viewfinder prism.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eurekaiv View Post
    I had a feeling... I've taken off the prism and it looks extremely bright and even if I point the bottom at a light and look through it. If I then hold the camera to my monitor and look through the screen like a TLR it looks more like what I see through the viewfinder. So maybe it's the type E (just looked it up to be sure) screen and it's meant to look this way? One thing that's unusual (to me) is that it's not flat like the type E screen in my FE2. It's actually convex on top—looks more like the front of a lens. Seeing as how it's giving the appearance of vignetting I though maybe that could have something to do with it.
    F3 screens have a curved, clear surface facing up to the view finder--the bottom is a fresnel surface. E screens transmit as much light as any other screen. Any chance of a misaligned mirror?

Shooter
    35mm
    You can also get a Nikon RED DOT screen, which gives a brighter image than earlier screens. Look on one of the short sides... the one that has the screen type, then Nikon Japan, then a red dot if its one of the newer screens. Hope this helps.

Shooter
    35mm
    I swear every time I looked thru F3 viewfinder is like watching IMAX theater. Something is not right with your F3. Borrow a friend's prism and or screen and try them on your camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisatchie View Post
    You can also get a Nikon RED DOT screen, which gives a brighter image than earlier screens. Look on one of the short sides... the one that has the screen type, then Nikon Japan, then a red dot if its one of the newer screens. Hope this helps.
    Well, this might be a clue... my screen has no Nikon markings on it. Perhaps it's the wrong type for my camera or an inexpensive aftermarket piece?

Here's a couple pics for those that like pictures of beat to hell cameras. The prism is dented but I can't find fault with it when looking through it off the body. I really love the way it feels... a bit like an old friend. Not that I feel my old friends or anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3_1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	42675 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3_2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	42676

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to try another focusing screen, usually they are marked at least "Nikon" or have the screen type imprinted on the side where the black frame surrounds it.

Check if the lens and aperture lever is stopping down correctly, could be the problem there, where its stuck at something smaller the widest, and not opening up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin