Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,223   Online: 806

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterclank View Post
    i had one of the 1v-hs canons and i fell into the pacific ocean with it... i didnt have a lens with seals, and slat water is not a friend of electronics.

but back on topic, do you have the hs battery or the regular one?
    Regular 2CR5 battery. The problem doesn't happen all the time though. The camera will sit on the shelf for month with battery at 100% and then suddenly it's dry. I can check for the current draw once I get a new batch of batteries. Maybe I should get some rechargeable ones as this is getting expensive. I'll have to wait for the check up probably as service like that is likely to be impossible or cost more than 2 1vs in Switzerland.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2CR5 batteries are patently lousy power sources. Switch to AA NiCd or lith ion rechargeables. My old (retired) EOS 5 barely got 5 rolls out of a 2CR5. Enter, the EOS 1n in 1996, with power drive booster. AA lithium batteeries have been changed over just twice over that time (!) and I have no idea now how many rolls have gone through the camera. The EOS 1v by comparison should be up there with the best of the frugal power users on AA power sources, significantly less with 2CR5. I'm thinking about moisture ingress somewhere, but the 1v is darned well sealed so it seems improbable.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Large Format
    So the adapter seems to be the culprit actually. Just rigged a multimeter between the battery and the camera after much poking. Normally the meter shows 0 on stand-by (not sensitive enough), but shows about .1 amp draw when the chipped OM adapter is on the camera, no matter if the camera is on or off.

Shooter
    35mm
    congrat! you have gotten it! 0.1 amp is very high draw.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yup. Normally the highest draw (focusing + IS) seems to be about .2 which makes sense, running the IS for 7 hours seems like a thing that would just about drain the 1500mAh 2cr5. Quite strange though. My non-chipped 14mm Samyang works fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well so now you know and it wouldn't even preventing you from using the OM adapter. You just need to remove it when you don't use the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    [You can preset the aperture on an EOS lens by taking off the lens while holding the DOF-preview button pressed. This trick can be useful if you want to use the EOS lens stopped down on a foreign body, such as a digital Sony NEX.]
    Cool trick! I will have to try this out! I have had drain issues as well with my Canon gear. I usually just rip out the batteries and pop them in when I need the camera. But I think in my case it is the off brand grip I have on mine.

Oh well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin