Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,361   Online: 1015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

EOS 1v battery draining problem

I have a EOS 1v which I got about half a year ago off Ebay and it has a strange problem. In those 6 months I went through 4 batteries
    (while shooting maybe 10 films with it). Last time I took it out on Sunday, battery was dead. Thought I must have left it on and pushing the
    release in the bag, I got a new battery. All worked fine until I took it out of my bag today and battery dead again. This time I'm 100% sure I
    turned it off. Does anyone have any idea what to try/troubleshoot/etc? Am I doing something horribly wrong by having it in my bag? The
    lens on it was a MF Oly 50/1.4 with a chipped OM-EOS adapter. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have a Canon EF lens you could leave on it as a test? Just in case it is a problem with the adapter.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    The EOS's are never really "off". They go into a kind of sleep mode and wake up periodically to drive the LCD and check the "ON" switch.
    When I get a new electronic camera I routinely check the current consumption. While checking the canons I found that even in sleep mode some button presses cause normal operating current for a second or two.

That said I think that either you got a damage in the camera or the adapter empties the battery. On my EOS3 2 pins on the lens mount are powered when the camera is "off".
    Regards,
    Andreas

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The EOS 1v, like those pro-level models before it, consume a miniscule amount of battery power even when off. Any deviation certainly indicates a fault in the electronics — possibly the interface of the lens adaptor you are using. I would strongly recommend testing the camera without the adaptor and with a Canon EF or manual focus (e.g. TS-E) lens in place, with the camera used for shooting, and also turned off to observe any unexplained battery consumption. The 1v has a venerable reputation for brute strength and reliability and I do have a gut feeling from your story that something needs to be professionally checked out.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    The EOS's are never really "off". [...] That said I think that either you got a damage in the camera or the adapter empties the battery. On my EOS3 2 pins on the lens mount are powered when the camera is "off".
    Indeed, when you mount onto an off-mode EOS camera an EOS lens that has its aperture preset to a certain value, the first thing the camera does (even in off mode) is reset that aperture to fully open. Which goes to show that EOS cameras are 'constantly' reading the lens, even when switched off. It doesn't seem entirely unlikely that the chipped OM-adapter is not giving a proper, definitive answer to the body (e.g. while in off-mode), thus draining the battery.

[You can preset the aperture on an EOS lens by taking off the lens while holding the DOF-preview button pressed. This trick can be useful if you want to use the EOS lens stopped down on a foreign body, such as a digital Sony NEX.]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks guys. I'll watch it, 3 times before I had a EF lens on it when it happened, this time was the fastest of all. I'm afraid I'll need to have it checked out as you say. Or just keep it with the battery out for some time and see if it goes away.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A thorough look-in of the 1v is much, much better and reassuring than speculation. This is not a camera that would let anybody down, even if it is soaked, battered, knocked, swung, rolled or used as a lethal weapon in self-defence!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    So you could have a problem with switching electronics. They can possibly failed to shut off and drain your battery. If you can verify current draw is good thing to try but I know that not everyone can do it. I think you should have Canon check your camera out.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    A thorough look-in of the 1v is much, much better and reassuring than speculation. This is not a camera that would let anybody down, even if it is soaked, battered, knocked, swung, rolled or used as a lethal weapon in self-defence!
    i had one of the 1v-hs canons and i fell into the pacific ocean with it... i didnt have a lens with seals, and slat water is not a friend of electronics.

but back on topic, do you have the hs battery or the regular one?
    Chris Schuster
    Shutterclank!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a EOS-1n with the same problem. Got to the point I take the battery out when I am done shooting. that is if I remember to. I would love to hear of a solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin