Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,824   Online: 983

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Recommend a glue?

I have a nice lens that has a rubber grip to focus with. Problem is, the focus action is a little stiff, so when you go to focus the rubber grip slips and moves, not the lens. I've seen that most of these originally acted by friction alone but as they age and the rubber stretches, that no longer works... so do I glue it? Anyone have a recommended brand or glue product for such a job?
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used clear acrylic nail polish (sold as strengthener). Put ring in place, roll back one side, apply, roll back the other side, apply. Two concerns would be if the nail polish eats away any paint on the lens as it squishes out from the edges, and if the lens is plastic and melts. Let the lens air out for a couple of days no matter.

Another material I like for such things is called 'transfer tape.' 3M makes it. Basically a thin film of a rubber cement-type of adhesive in tape form. The problem with it is that it is very sticky and can drive you nuts while first learning to use it.

The thing i like about both of these glues/tapes is that they allow for removal. The acrylic will basically 'snap' after it dries but still holds a collar well. The transfer tape stays gummy and flexible so you can pull things away (watch for stretching; alcohol will help it release).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd peel it back and add ATG tape to the barrel. Not permanent but very sticky.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    I've fixed that sort of problem on a number of lenses with plain old contact cement. If the rubber is too badly stretched to give proper contact all around, I carefully cut & wrap black gaffers tape around the lens first to increase the diameter and then glue the rubber to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Contact cement is what I've used in the past. Recently I've been using some double faced tape to apply body covering.
    The double sided carpet tape is available at reasonable cost.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also used double sided tape, carpet tape works well, there are other double sided tapes that also work well. Nice thing about them, they do not leave a gooey mess if you have to remove it.

Shooter
    35mm
    +1 for adhesive transfer tape (ATG or ATT type). Industrial types can be heat-resistant. Double-sided tape may also work, but those are mostly not heat-resistant. Alternatively, you can use a few drops of rubber cement (the type sold in craft stores, Staples, Office Depot etc.) It's weak enough to get off completely without leaving too much of a residue, but may be just strong enough for your purpose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd use contact adhesive mainly becuase I always have some at hand as I use it for bellows construcytion and installation, shutter and other camera repairs.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would probably use a rubber cement, but mostly, as Ian says, it would be because that's what I usually have around.
    If you want a super sticky rubber cement go to a bike shop and get a tube of tubular/sew-up tire glue, which is used for gluing the tires to the rims. It's very tenacious stuff, but remains somewhat flexible.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You could try hair lacquer. Bicycle shops use it to lock handlebar grips in place. It allows the grip to be slid around and then positioned correctly, then it locks it in place.

Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin