Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,450   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Need some advice on getting started with Nikon FM

Hi i am new to 35mm photography and would like some advice. I just bought a near mint Nikon FM camera and i have a Nikon 50mm 1.8 AF lens that will work on it. At first i just want to take some B&W pictures with film and send them off to have developed. I guess we can still do that at least through the mail. I live in Indiana what film should i buy it will be for day time outside shooting ? And any other advice is welcome Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Kodak T-MAX 400 is a very nice film for a beginner and the 400 speed makes it versatile.

And also Fuji Neopan 400 is good.

I dont know a lot about Ilford.

And maybe after a while you should look into buying a light meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak Tri-X and and Ilford HP5 are far more forgiving for exposure errors.

Maybe start with them to get encouraging results and then move on to T-Max or Neopan to fine-tune your exposure skills.

Later on you could consider using slower film (around ISO 100), but a good rule is to get to know a film well before changing to another.

You could eventually consider developing your negatives at home (apart from chemicals, you need a developing tank, a thermometer and a room you can darken) and possibly scan them (wet printing would be ideal, but is more complicated and needs more equipment).
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would start with Tri-x 400 personally -it's probably the most versatile film in the world and used by so many photographers you can find lots of solutions to specific questions you might have about that film. Also, any lab in the country would have a very accurate developing time on the film as such and you would probably get better results.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks i just ordered 5 rolls of Tri-x 400 from B&H thanks for the help i appreciate it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heck, you should really try Kodak BW400CN. It's simple, prolific and very forgiving with a fine grain and you can buy it at Walgreens. It's C-41 process and Walgreens can process it for you if they still have the capability where you live.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Heck, you should really try Kodak BW400CN. It's simple, prolific and very forgiving with a fine grain and you can buy it at Walgreens. It's C-41 process and Walgreens can process it for you if they still have the capability where you live.
    Agree. C-41 process b&w films like 400CN and Ilford XP2 Super might make life easier and more affordable than true b&w.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second guitstick and CGW, I use both and like them as much as the Ilford Hp5. I have even developed the C-41 With E-6, some interesting results.

David
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've even developed C-41 in coffee with excellent results. It's not as complicated as many would have you believe.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have found the meter on the FM to be quite accurate.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin