Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,352   Online: 1191

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Canon could have at least made the custom function buttons behind the side door a little bigger. Those things are tiny. Anyway at least I get to use the TSE II. I've been through my share of 24s over the years across several brands. The TSE II is the closest thing to perfect for me for an SLR 24mm. So it's worth the MLU hassle.
    Again, just get an EOS RT for $70: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-RT...item2c610bd226. Well worth your money if you shoot macro that often.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not macro/close up work I do. Mostly urban landscape/architectural. The fixed mirror thing always kind of bothered me as a concept. Wouldn't there be some sort of adverse effect on image quality?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A great example of user-unfriendly design and narrow engineering point of view. Why an electronic mirror lockup, when a mechanical would be better?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    A great example of user-unfriendly design and narrow engineering point of view. Why an electronic mirror lockup, when a mechanical would be better?
    So they could write "Ultra-Cybernetic Electronic Precision Mirror Raising - UCPMR" in their advertising brochures.

I think some posters here would claim that would make the MLU more "accurate": a mechanical implementation not being accurate enough to be useful....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, like old clocks.. I mean, people didn't even know what time of year it was!

Shooter
    35mm
    For the EOS-1V - and other similar cameras, MLU has to be a deliberate effort as you have to be aware of the dangers when using it. In the manual it states the following.
    • In very bright light such as at the beach or ski ground on a sunny day, take the picture promptly after mirror lockup.
    • During mirror lockup, do not point the camera lens at the sun. The sun’s heat can scorch and damage the shutter curtains.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    For the EOS-1V - and other similar cameras, MLU has to be a deliberate effort as you have to be aware of the dangers when using it. In the manual it states the following.
    Right. I never fail to lockup the mirror when I am outside taking pictures. Not being able to compose or focus ads that little extra fillip of excitement I so crave.

MLU is a deliberate effort on any camera having it that I have ever seen. Deliberate does not have to be inconvenient or frustrating. MLU doesn't need a warning light, or a beeper either. It's faily easy to notice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always like the MLU on Canons since you can combine it with the self timer and even bracketing and it all works automatically. My only concern was forgetting to turn it off, invariably ending up trying to stand still looking into a black finder for the 2 or 10 seconds while the self timer does its thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    So they could write "Ultra-Cybernetic Electronic Precision Mirror Raising - UCPMR" in their advertising brochures.

I think some posters here would claim that would make the MLU more "accurate": a mechanical implementation not being accurate enough to be useful....

Electronic and manual MLU processes individually have their strengths and weaknesses, apples and oranges. I don't think it's worth carping and whinging just because a Canon has an electronic MLU. Goodness, it's a bit shallow compared to the capabilities of the camera that grow on you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Canon was obviously saving better implementation of MLU for
    drumrollllllll

AN UPGRADE

Too bad the film slr market died before that illustrious day.

I don't own any of the newest Digi offerings from Canon but the menu option lives on into the II series Canon Digis.
    No upgrade ever came, as you noted...the digital EOS cameras don't have easy to use mirror lockup either.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin