Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,455   Posts: 1,570,518   Online: 1001

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Canon mirror lockup nonsense

Some of you may recall I was looking into getting a used EOS 1v so that I could buy a Canon 24mm TSE II. This is my only Canon gear. You may also recall mirror lockup is a very important feature to me (as it should be to anyone). Some of you warned me in advance of the clumsy way of engaging mirror lockup on these Canon cameras. I knew it would be a hassle but worth the effort since this is a fantastic lens.

Anyhow I've been practicing getting used to the 1v, and even though I've got it all quite smooth now in terms of operation, I'd just like to say indeed the mirror lockup feature on this camera is ridiculous and irritating. There is no excuse for this. For serious photographers, mirror lockup is a feature I consider to be one of the basic necessities, and it should be treated as such on any camera claimed to be for professional use. That means having this feature accessible on the camera body, where it can easily be engaged in any situation including low light. Ideally it should be a mechanical button. Failing that, it should at least have its own dedicated electronic button on the camera. Having to open the side door, fiddle with the tiny custom function button, and then scroll through the functions etc, is horrible. That is the kind of procedure that should be reserved for one-off, weirdo functions you might only need once in a blue moon, not mirror lockup. And why should I have to be able to see the screen or viewfinder to engage something as simple as mirror lockup? It's also worth pointing out the mirror should come down when you want, not automatically when the shutter closes. The whole thing is just dumb.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe this will help Michael...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It does!

Shooter
    35mm
    But you must consider which modern camera has mirror lockup? The F5 does but it's older than the EOS-1v. The F6 mirror lockup isn't very straight forward either. I guess as manufacturers are making new models they consider mirror lockup as unimportant feature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hehe

I need two remote shutters to enable mirror lockup and bulb exposure on my Mamiya RZ67 pro II

Never used that "feature" on my 1v yet ^^
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe that camera was meant to be used by the undead. They need no MLU as their hands are so still and strong that no vibration or 1/4s exposure will prevent them from making perfectly sharp images.
    Zombies are whole nother story, for them even 1/4000 is not enough.

Just saying, you see to extract any useful info from that.
    And good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good point about the F6. I've never used one but I just assumed it was well thought out. I'm used to the F3 and F4 which are super easy to use (although obviously much older than the EOS 1v).

Incidentally, the mirror lockup function on a Leica R9 is pretty convoluted too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mirror lockup for the Nikon F6 is purely for avoiding mirror vibration. You turn the mode dial to MUP mode, press the release button once and the mirror goes up, press it another time the shutter is release and then the mirror goes down. 30 seconds after the shutter release is pressed the first time the shutter will goes if you don't press it a second time.
    It was not designed for using with old lenses that protrude into the mirror chamber like early F or F2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Canon was obviously saving better implementation of MLU for
    drumrollllllll

AN UPGRADE

Too bad the film slr market died before that illustrious day.

I don't own any of the newest Digi offerings from Canon but the menu option lives on into the II series Canon Digis.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBodyOldSoul View Post
    Maybe that camera was meant to be used by the undead. They need no MLU as their hands are so still and strong that no vibration or 1/4s exposure will prevent them from making perfectly sharp images.
    Zombies are whole nother story, for them even 1/4000 is not enough.
    Hmmmm. OldBodyOldSoul. I'm guessing you're one of the former?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin