Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,882   Posts: 1,520,515   Online: 828

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Bruce. I'll pass that along. I actually use two OM2n's for my own aerial work: one with a 50mm and one with a 70-200 zoom lens. The problem is the apperture priority auto. Flying as passenger this is no problem for me, I just ride the apperture to keep 1/1000th sec, but my colleaugue doesn't feel up to doing that while flying the plane, so wants shutter priority.

David.

My only concern with Contax is that they appear to not be actively investing in MF or 35mm--only Digital P&S. Also, I have heard-but not experienced--that there repair department in the US has cut back so repair times are going longer.

Leica is seriously devoted to 35mm and is coming out with new products.

Don't get me wrong, the Contax is great (I own an N1 and a 645 and love them both). If I didn't have a great Nikon F2-AS and F2n, I would buy a Contax manual focus 35mm.

Just my two cents.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    The Leica 50 1.4 and the Contax 50 1.4 come off the same Zeiss assembly line.
    This is not correct. They are different designs and made on different assembly lines on different continents.

As for the original question, the R4 is not considered one of the more reliable Leica reflex bodies. I would suggest the R5 or newer including the R-E instead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many thanks for the comments everyone I passed them on to the pilot. He got the Leica: I suspect because it had Leica written on it. I tend to agree about the R5, especially as it has a faster shutter speed than the R4, but such is life. I am told that late R4s, with serial numbers later than 1.6 million are more reliable and this is, so fingers crossed.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by telyt
    This is not correct. They are different designs and made on different assembly lines on different continents.

As for the original question, the R4 is not considered one of the more reliable Leica reflex bodies. I would suggest the R5 or newer including the R-E instead.
    The R4 had the reputation for not being the most reliable camera. The good news is that after all these years, the bad ones will have sorted themselves from the working ones by now!:-) I'm not really sure where the idea that the Leica and Zeiss lenses were made on the same assembly line, I've never heard of that before. It's true that leica does not make it's own glass, and I'm sure they buy a bunch from Schott, but that's as close as I've ever heard of them getting. I guess the Kyocera manufactured lenses could be an oblique connection, but that's really stretching things. The new 50mm f1.4 from Leica is supposed to be the best 50mm f1.4 ever made when shooting wide open. I do lust after it in the M line, but I really can't justify the price when so many 50mm lenses are so good as it is. Of course as a Leica owner, you'd think I'd be pretty good at justifying the unjustifiable by now:-)

Isaac
    See my adventures in Yemen here:
    www.isaharr.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin