Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,925   Online: 1179

Olympus OM-1nMD meter troubleshooting

I'm hoping someone can assist me in determining what is causing my OM1n's meter to be indicating a very low light level when in fact I am testing it at noon on sunny days here in lower New York State. With lens wide open and 400iso film I need to shoot at 1/15th or so to have the meter indicate a "proper" exposure. At first I assumed a dead px625 Weincell and have replaced twice to no noticeable effect. I source my Weincells from B&H and would hope they're fully charged upon receiving them. I've cleaned the battery contacts but again no luck. I always remove the cell's protective strips at least an hour beforehand. Meter worked perfectly this past spring. Although I have an F100, an A1 and AE-1 program this is my first camera of choice, I love the damn thing! Please Help!

Shooter
    35mm
    if you can measure the voltage of the Wein cell I would do that otherwise try an alkaline battery. Although alkaline battery will give you a wrong meter indication but not by that much. If the camera is shorted somehow it would kill the battery so if you measure the voltage after the battery has been in the camera you would know.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When my OM1n was CLAd, it also had a meter problem that caused very low reading. Turned out to be a bad solder connection that had gone "dry". It was sorted and its been fine since. Of course, yours may be something else. Get it converted or use an adapter for SR44 cells.

Shooter
    127 Format
    If the meter does not jump when you turn the switch on and off then you likely have a lost connection. I have one OM-1md that the meter comes off its gimbal from time to time. I can get it back on by tweaking the needle with a toothpick (focusing screen out).

I do need to get that one in for professional help as it is otherwise perfect.

I don't recommend you abuse your camera the way I do mine. I only present my experience to show other things it could be.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    OM-1/1N meter needle will move without batteries. It is a totally mechanical movement, controlled by strings and pulleys. At asa 400 (which is a cam position) the needle will center at (approx.) 1/2 second at f1.8. No battery, meter switched off etc. If you meter does drop to the bottom when you turn the switch off, then at least the coil is working. Yours does sound like it's 6-8 stops off. Could be corroded battery wire, bad meter switch, bad meter ground or ....bad meter coil. Even with bad coil though, the needle can center, it is not to be confused with a correct meter reading. I can overhaul that for you if you're interested. John

Shooter
    35mm
    Now that you mention it the OM1 meter doesn't rest at center position like some other cameras. It needs power to go to center position. I don't remember now whether it's naturally up or down.

Shooter
    35mm
    An OM-1/1N meter that's turned off or dead will rest at the bottom. Using a 1.55V alkaline battery in an OM-1/1N can produce an error of up to 3 stops. John

I want to thank everybody for their help, it's greatly appreciated! I was at our local pharmacy today and noticed they have Eveready Zinc/Air batteries but they are 1.4v, not sure if they'll fit properly but if they do I'll be able to use these as an alternate to B&H's PX625 supply to determine if it's the batteries or my meter that is not working. If they are the solution to the problem how will the 1.4v affect the meter?

Shooter
    127 Format
    Close to perfect ... but short duty life.
    - Bill Lynch

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin