Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,828   Online: 1116

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nikon 50's

Shooter
    35mm RF

nikon 50's

Hello all ,I intend to sell one of my lenses one is a Nikkor-s Auto 1:1.4 f= 50mm the other a Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4. Is there any difference between the two? Better build, glass, reputation, contrast, coatings?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Without having the serial #, I can't be certain, but it is most likely the same lens with better - multi- coatings.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 12-12-2011 at 01:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not find out yourself? You are probably the only one having both lenses around....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mattone View Post
    Why not find out yourself? You are probably the only one having both lenses around....
    I agree, shoot both and make your own decisions.
    I'm betting sample variation would play as much a part as the slight (if any) optical formulation diferences

Plus, some prefer the single coated versions better when conventional wisdom would say the multi coated would be best.
    It really depends on taste..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have two older "S" Nikon lenses, as well as more recent AI ones. My own conclusions; I prefer the older "S" lenses for black & white, they have an indefinable quality about them. the AI lenses give better colour results generally, doubtless to do with the extra coating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    I have two older "S" Nikon lenses, as well as more recent AI ones. My own conclusions; I prefer the older "S" lenses for black & white, they have an indefinable quality about them. the AI lenses give better colour results generally, doubtless to do with the extra coating.
    The op's lens, a Nikkor-s is a 7 element lens. That is what the "S" means, s = sept = seven. The letter after "Nikkor" designates the number of elements, using Greek and Latin. H = hex = six, P = penta = five, and so on.

Most, but far from all lenses with the letter code for # of elements will be single coated. Perhaps that is your "indefinable quality".

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Nikon has always tweaked the 50mm formula. There are optical differences between an S (S.C) and an Ai and an Ai-s. How much and whether it matters to you is dependent on what you need. I find as another posted, that the S is really quite good for B&W, I use an S.C for most of my color (digital) work and my Ai-s seems to be better at 1.4, and also closer up. YMMV...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Scroll down about 1/3 of the page http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...kor/index1.htm for an explanation of what "S" means.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Robin View Post
    Hello all ,I intend to sell one of my lenses one is a Nikkor-s Auto 1:1.4 f= 50mm the other a Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4. Is there any difference between the two? Better build, glass, reputation, contrast, coatings?
    Perhaps you missed this on another forum...

With so many models, you may want to look here....you don't identify/describe the 2nd 1.4....it may be a "K" version...confirm that here.....
    http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#180

...."C" after the letters H, P, Q, S means multicoating....the letters H, P, Q, S refer to the number of lens elements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

don't sell - just buy new one and keep old one . I have a bunch of 50mm nikkors, and they are all excellent. You can't get much money for old nikkor-s anyhow.

regards,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin