Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,644   Online: 838

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

I broke the gearing on my MB-40 and can't get it off.

So, I apparently over-tightened my MB-40, and now I can't get it off my F6. Can Nikon fix this problem?

The tightening wheel is spinning freely.

AAAHHHHH I'M FREAKING OUT GET IT OFF GET IT OFF
    Last edited by EASmithV; 12-13-2011 at 02:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ouch! Sounds like you might have stripped the thread or snapped the shaft. I don't know this battery pack but can you pull downwards firmly on the wheel while you turn it very gently? That sometimes works if a thread isn't completely stripped. Hope you can get it sorted without resorting to the electric drill!

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, you won't be able to exert downward pressure on the wheel because of the configuration of the MB-40 but you can certainly exert considerable lateral pressure. Try that. Be sure you're turning in the right direction. It appears you stripped the splines of the plastic wheel so the MB will have to be disassemble to remove/replace the wheel. Highly doubtful you stripped the metal threads of the stud or tripod mount on the body as the plastic splines are the weak link. I'll speculate that the repair is pretty simple; remove small, phillips screws in top-plate of MB to access the wheel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can't access the top plate, it's attached to my camera!
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Large Format
    has it released / unscrewed at all or is it on, and the wheel just turns ?

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm suggesting that once you separate the MB from the F6 you could potentially do the removal/replacement of the plastic wheel yourself. Now give that a wheel some serious lateral pressure to remove it and make sure you're turning in the proper direction. Unless your thumb-tip is white you're not leaning on it enough! You can't possibly do any further damage. Carefully place a wide rubberband between your thumb and the wheel for better grip. I'd guess the splines were stripped when you intended to unscrew it but were inadvertently tightening it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Looking at the picture of the MB-40 it seems that the wheel that you turn would turn the screw that screw into the camera via some source of gearing. I think the gear is stripped but not the screw thread and thus no damage to the camera yet. If the MB-40 could be taken apart without removing it from the camera you could have a chance. Otherwise I would say send it to Nikon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sorry my original reply I thought you were talking about a flash stuck on the shoe... I have had that happen.

No clue on this one. You stripped the plastic wheel, from the metal shaft. Just leave it on!

Cheers..

Dan at Berry's camera has fixed many Nikon maladies (like flashes stuck on bodies because the pin wont release). 765-742-0297 (Indiana)... likely NPS will fix for at least $200.
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 12-14-2011 at 03:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would suggest trying to take apart the battery grip. check for screws, and try to separate it by the prying the seams. Or just rip it open until you can reach is screw and unscrew it with pliers.

Or just leave it on... if its tight and not wobbly, leave it and use as is?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin