Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,592   Online: 986

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Definitely do not discount the zoom models. Even though the lenses aren't the same as the 2.8 lens on the Stylus Epic (mju II), they're still quite sharp. We have the Stylus Epic 115 and the Stylus Epic Wide zoom which is a 28-100 zoom. Both produce excellent pictures with very sharp results. They also have spot metering.

Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    I spent a few bucks at a thrift store on a zoom 115 and a zoom 80. I ran what was left of the installed roll through the zoom 80 yesterday so we'll see how it does, but for a few $, I can't expect to be disappointed. Looking through the tagged pics on flickr shows a lot of nice shots from these things. The only quibble I had with mine was that I kept moving the shell/door over just enough to send the camera into power down. That's kinda annoying when you're walking around with the camera in your hand, lift it up to shoot something only to find that it's in the process of turning itself off. Not sure if the non-zoom models are bad about this either though as I've never used one.
    Sometimes I post my photos on flickr.
    Sometimes I update my tumblr.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eurekaiv View Post
    Not sure if the non-zoom models are bad about this either though as I've never used one.
    The non-zoom models are instantly on since the lens has only millimeters to extend. But if you have turned off the auto-flash you have to reset it each time you reopen the cover. I tend to leave mine open during a 'session'.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    The Stylus/Mu series included a number of different models. The original had a 35f3.5 and the II had a 35f2.8. In addition (off the top of my head) the zooms were the Wide 80 (28-80mm) and a standard 80, a 70mm, a 105mm, 110mm, 115mm, 140mm, 150mm and a 170mm. It was an extremely popular, prolific and long lived series, so there were probably more versions. I wouldn't cast aspersions on any Zuiko lens, so your choice should be based on your preference prime vs zoom, and focal length.

Can folks PLEASE stop calling these and the XA's "clam shell" cameras?? Olympus only referred to the cover as a "sliding dust barrier". Heavens only knows who started the misnomer "clam shell" (and the related "cam shell" and "clamp shell"), but it was obviously someone who never saw a clam!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin