Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,056   Online: 908

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pentax LX meter won't shut off?

I just got a new-to-me Pentax LX. It's in nice clean shape, but was sold "as is".

The biggest problem I can see is that the light meter doesn't shut off. So long as the batteries are in, the meter is on and working.

Any suggestions?
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The meter can be turned on two different ways: by the shutter release or by the button in the middle of the viewfinder release. I suspect one is stuck or needs adjustment. If pushing them numerous times doesn't do the trick, I suggest sending the camera to Eric Hendrickson: www.pentaxs.com/index.html
    He is widely recognized as one of the best. So sayeth the lxdude.
    Last edited by lxdude; 12-15-2011 at 01:47 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Time for a CLA
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep, best course of action.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hear you guys!

I think I was hoping to fix it because I really enjoy tinkering with my cameras. In my tinkering I've done a full teardown and CLA on an Agfa folder, I've calibrated a couple of rangefinders, I've replaced foam seals, I've put new camera leathers on, etc. But this LX is in otherwise very nice condition, and it's a late-model. So I'd love to have it in 100% shape and not risk damaging it.

I only paid 50 dollars, so I shouldn't complain about a trip to Eric :-)
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by filmamigo View Post
    I hear you guys!

I think I was hoping to fix it because I really enjoy tinkering with my cameras. In my tinkering I've done a full teardown and CLA on an Agfa folder, I've calibrated a couple of rangefinders, I've replaced foam seals, I've put new camera leathers on, etc. But this LX is in otherwise very nice condition, and it's a late-model. So I'd love to have it in 100% shape and not risk damaging it.

I only paid 50 dollars, so I shouldn't complain about a trip to Eric :-)
    I should say not! I paid $364 for mine from KEH in EX condition in October 2010 and they've been more than that recently when they have them in EX. Right now they show one in BGN for $286. The leather (or leatherette or whatever the covering is) did start to peel off mine later requiring a dab of glue - other than that it's fine.

I had a weird problem for a while with almost all my frames coming out tilted in spite of care in the camera. Just when I was ready to send it off to Eric the problem miraculously seems to have cured itself. Is there something with the way the finder mounts that makes it easy to get it not quite right but think it's right? That's all I can think of that might have changed - I probably slid the finder off at some point.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin