Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,636   Online: 768

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    Do I have any natural-looking alternative in 400 speed 35mm film?
    Fuji Pro 400H. I've only used it in 120 but it provides great skin tones and dense but muted colours.
    http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/...00h/index.html

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Frankly, 400NC could produce cadaverish skin tones in contrasty, flat or less-than-perfect lighting. Pro Fuji 400 in old(NPH) or new forms is muted but not dead. I've not seen that from the new Portra and I love the latitude. I wouldn't let the lab off the hook.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try Fuji Pro 400 H
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Then your problem was caused by an Operator Assisted Failure* during scanning at the professional lab. Go back to them and complain.

*Operator Assisted Failure is pronounced "oaf"
    +1
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by vyshemirsky View Post
    The new Portra 160 is still gorgeously neutral.
    Weird that I have found the opposite, that 160 is disgustingly saturated and 400 is nice and creamy like NC used to be. I think if you over expose your film you might find the color more pleasing? For color negative film portra 400 and ektar are the only two I'll use, can't say enough good things about my experiences with them and just was flat out unimpressed by portra 160.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    I got my negs and prints back the other day, and was disappointed to see the results with the new Portra 400. The colors were like those of all the other "vivid" films I avoid: overly saturated, unnatural, neon-ish. At the Kodak Web site, I saw the color scale--which shows that it is about halfway between Ektar and Portra 400NC. Do I have any natural-looking alternative in 400 speed 35mm film?
    What are you shooting the portra 400 at? If you are shooting it at 400 i can understand where you are coming from. I shoot mine at 200 or 160 normally and get beautiful prints all the time. Shooting at 400 gives me too much saturation.

Shooter
    35mm
    I very much appreciate the replies. The prints were scanned and printed, and so I agree that a lab error could not be ruled out. They have been pretty consistent, though, thus far (for a couple of years). A number of the shots were in high contrast situations. I gather I will give the new Portra 400 another try, though I do not know if I want to spring for another five-pack (in case it does not work out). I am tempted to try Fuji 400H.

Shooter
    35mm
    Uncorrected latitude of Kodak Portra 400 shown below.

Link to larger version -> Kodak Portra 400 A

You can recover shadows and highlights easily.

Link to larger version -> Kodak Portra 400 B

Uncorrected mix light - CF bulb and window lighting

Link to larger version -> Kodak Portra 400 C

A couple of other samples of uncorrected longer exposure modes greater then a few seconds.

Links to larger versions -> Kodak Portra 400 D & Kodak Portra 400 E

I also happen to like Fuji Pro400H as well as Provia 400X so definitely give those a try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used old and new Portra 400 as well as NC400, VC400 and UC400. All shot at box speed and all came out very well under all conditions at the rate of 50+ rolls per year.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've shot one roll so far and had it scanned. The colors are natural AFAIK. You might want to check the paper yours were printed on. I've seen in the past where some Kodak film I had was printed with higher contrast, more saturated or both.
    W.A. Crider

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin